Aug 19, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
Sources told the New York Daily News that former Red Sox catcher Kelly Shoppach, who has since been traded to the Mets, used Adrian Gonzalez’s phone to express the team’s displeasure with Bobby Valentine last month, leading to the meeting that has caused such a stir this week.
Three sources suggested to the paper that Shoppach sent the message, a charge that Shoppach denied when asked. Gonzalez refused to answer questions on the subject Saturday.
The Daily News suggests that Shoppach’s message came with Gonzalez’s consent:
A small group of players that has been unhappy with Valentine this season — a group that included Shoppach, according to a source familiar with the circumstances — was complaining about the manager in late July and engaged Gonzalez in the conversation. A member of the group suggested that the only way to bring about action would be to voice their problems to ownership. Gonzalez was tired of hearing the constant grumbling and agreed with them that a message from him — the team’s highest-paid player — would get management’s attention.
If that’s the truth, Gonzalez comes off worse than had he sent the message himself. For a nine-year veteran and one of the game’s highest-paid players to let a journeyman backup catcher speak for him reflects terribly on him.
Then again, we’ll probably never know the truth about how exactly the sequence of events went down.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)