And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Aug 20, 2012, 5:40 AM EDT

Pirates Cardinals Baseball

Pirates 6, Cardinals 3: For the second straight year the Pirates play a nineteen inning game. This time, unlike the game against the Braves in which they were royally screwed, the Pirates won. Thank you Pedro Alvarez and Andrew McCutchen who drove in runs in the 19th, Alvarez with a homer. They had to burn Wandy Rodriguez for a couple of innings in this one even though he was supposed to start today, but a game against the Cardinals is worth way more to Pittsburgh than a game against the Padres. Eight shutout innings from Jaime Garcia ended up not mattering, but they weren’t meaningless either.

Giants 7, Padres 1:  At least I think that’s the right score. I was directed to a scores website I had never seen before that showed the Giants as having one. Let me check the site’s info for a second … MELKY!

Yankees 4, Red Sox 3: Two homers for Ichiro three hits for Jetes and eight strong innings from Hiroki Kuroda. That was the second time this season Ichiro has hit two homers in a game. Not bad for a guy who only has 102 in 12 years. I missed this game, unfortunately, as I spent all evening texting my girlfriend from Adrian Gonzalez’s phone. Which makes about as much sense as anything else I’ve heard this week.

Phillies 8, Brewers 0: Kyle Kendrick threw eight shutout innings, striking out seven. This game had a rain delay. In Milwaukee. Where they have a retractable roof. That makes sense.

Rockies 3, Marlins 2: For the first time on seven games in Coors Field, Giancarlo Stanton didn’t homer. Colorado has won five of seven.

Mariners 5, Twins 1: The M’s sweep the Twins. We’re starting to get to the point of the season where I ask myself if I got the scores of these meaningless games wrong — like, as an accident, not for yuks like I did with the Padres-Giants score — would anyone notice. I’m guessing not.

Diamondbacks 8, Astros 1: Obviously Tony DeFrancesco isn’t the answer. Bring back Larry Dierker!  Aaron Hill homered twice.

Athletics 7, Indians 0: Yesterday was apparently “pitcher throws eight shutout innings day. Jarrod Parker did it too. Another nightmare road trip for Cleveland, as they’re now 1-5 on the current nine-game jaunt out west.

Nationals 5, Mets 2: Gio Gonzalez wins his 16th game, setting a Nats team record. Bryce Harper tripled and homered. He homered on Friday night too — I was there and it was fun — so it looks like maybe he’s heating up, bro.

Rays 8, Angels 3: The Rays sweep the Angels. So: your team has a big payroll after signing Pujols and Wilson in the offseason, you call up the best rookie since, I dunno, Fred Lynn, and you trade for Zack Greinke at the deadline. And yet you find yourself nine games out of first and four and a half out of the wild card, with four teams above you? Yeah, that’s the kind of thing that could get you fired, Mike Scioscia.

Dodgers 5, Braves 0: Chad Billingsley pitched seven shutout innings and is now 6-0 since the break. The Dodgers move into first with that Giants loss. The Braves go to D.C. to face the Nats. Big series for them.

Royals 5, White Sox 2: Jeremy Guthrie flirted with a no-no, but mild controversy intervened. Eh, I’ve seen that kind of play called a hit in the past. It happens.

Reds 5, Cubs 4: The Reds won ugly, because of some bad defense. Dusty Baker actually asked this after the game: “Is there stink on the field?” Well, if it is on the field, that’s gotta be an improvement as far as Dusty is concerned.

Rangers 11, Blue Jays 2: Michael Young drove in five runs with a three-run homer and a two-run double. It was Young’s first homer in 88 games.

Orioles 7, Tigers 5: Everyone’s been saying the Orioles are going to collapse eventually. But what happens if they don’t collapse? Here they found themselves down 5-0 after the first inning yet didn’t pack it in. They may not pack it in all year.

1. uyf1950 - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Great outing by Kuroda 8 full innings 1 ER. And what can you say about Ichiro’s night 2 HR’s. Now the Yankees head to Chicago the play the White Sox. The Red Sox are back to 4 games under .500 and 13.5 games back of the Yankees. Just one more comment about Ichiro. Since joining the Yankees he’s batting .322 not bad, not bad at all.

2. angrycorgi - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:06 AM

When are we going to get the “Greinke is a bust” article to match the one you wrote about Dempster? I mean c’mon…they gave up 3 prospects for this guy and so far he’s 1-2 in 5 starts with a 6.19 ERA…

• hittfamily - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Grimey has been a huge disappointment, but they ought to be used to it by now. The Angels have half their farm system playing in other Uni’s because of Greinke, Kazmir, and Haren

• number42is1 - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM

???

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Maybe if you read all of HardballTalk. Matthew wrote this last night:

“Greinke has been a bust of an acquisition through five starts, going 1-2 with a 6.19 ERA. The Angels gave up three prospects to get him from Milwaukee last month, but they currently find themselves with the eighth-best record in the AL and they don’t stand to gain any compensation if he leaves as a free agent this winter.”

• lewp - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I think the wheels just came off the Angels’ bus..

• professormaddog31 - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

*If* Greinke leaves? More like when. He won’t want to go back to LA. If he doesn’t return to KC or MKE I will be surprised.

• angrycorgi - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Sorry Craig, I only rea your articles…the other writers on here bore me…

• wlschneider09 - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Craig gets a little less schadenfreude from pitchers who didn’t screw the Braves.

3. natslady - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:22 AM

So I’m trying to understand the Carl Crawford “controversy” as discussed on TV during the Yanks game. Now, I grasp the arguments on the pitcher-who-shall-not-be-named. I don’t agree with them, but I grasp them. OK, but why shouldn’t Crawford have his surgery–he actually is injured and the Red Sox have a 4% chance of making the playoffs and a 1% chance of winning the division (coolstandings.com). Just because the Cardinals were an incredible outlier last year–and more power to them–the Sox should ignore reality?

Teams like the Fillies and the Fish traded their players off when they weren’t mathematically eliminated, and that’s more or less fine, but the Sox throw Crawford out there with more chance of injury and less chance that he’ll be available for a full seaon next year–because, what, real GMs make trades but they don’t protect the health of their players?

• quintjs - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I think “controversy” is a bit overplayed. I think the Sox wanted to make sure the surgery was the right course of action (i.e. it was needed), they also wanted to make sure they were out of the playoff picture (pretty well locked in now) and after a down/ injured year in 2011 they probably also were keen for Crawford to get some playing time this year – otherwise he is a player who has not played in 15 months, and not played well in 24 – at least he comes back next year after having some success in 2012 and gives him something to build off.

As for the controversy – again I think it has been overplayed – which is understandable. I mean its not like there is anything else to report about this team.

4. kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:28 AM

With a combined age of 113, Jeter, Suzuki and Kuroda showed the youngsters how to take care of business.
    I am hoping Adrian’s wife does not go through his phone when he’s in the shower. Could be awkward.

5. kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:47 AM

The New Zealand Bayside U17 team traveled the 10,000+ miles to compete in the Senior League World Series in Bangor, Maine. The failed to win any games at the tournament, but by all accounts was an incredible experience for the young lads. Guatemala were the eventual winners.

• quintjs - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Not entirely on topic.. but that legitimately saved me from having to look it up – so well played sir.

• kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I should of posted after 9.30am when politics, superhero’s and dessert wars are fair game.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM

The desert war is over and was won by cake.

• kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

So Cheesecake conquered those two evil dictators then?

• proudlycanadian - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Cheesecake in all forms wins.

• Old Gator - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Sorry, key lime pie. Real key lime pie, like a slap in the palate before a duel. Suck your face into your mouth key lime pie. Smooth and creamy key lime pie is like “smooth jazz” – it’s shit with food coloring. R-e-a-l key lime pie conquers all.

But cake, because you do possess certain redeeming features – raspberry filling, for example – your death will be quick and painless.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Hello Gator, I realize that we both remember the 1960’s; however, despite my age, I remain a fan of both cheesecake and beaver pelts.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

It’s Dessert. Remeber- Dessert is twice as good as the desert. Well, probably even more so, but that wouldn’t work. Plus, I’d rather have pie in the desert- it is can protect itself with a hard crust. Cake just has icing and dust would just stick to that.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM

LOL! I never claimed that I can spell.

• kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Bad Christmas cake could survive a nuclear holocaust. Therefor, would be the far superior option if stuck in the desert.

• kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Milk-tart. Light dust of cinnamon on top, thin handmade crust around the edges.
        Old style traditional South African Milk-tart is quite a treat.

(I thought PC was being clever and meaning the War, so I countered with a comment regarding Bush and Saddam)

• proudlycanadian - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I wish that I had a clever retort for that, but alas I don’t.

• Old Gator - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Some people can remain in denial forever, but it’s my job not to let them. O boreal compadre, break down and admit the terrible truth: cheese”cake” is….a pie. You’re just not letting yourself see it. Remember The Live? Here are some special sunglasses. Look at it again.

6. hittfamily - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:13 AM

The Mariners/Twins game was not meaningless. The mighty Angels are now closer to being last in the AL West than they are to winning one of the Wildcards. Mighty? Mighty Expensive!

Go M’s. Make it happin’ cappin’.

• wlschneider09 - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Plus it’s further confirmation that the Twins suck. So there’s that.

7. redguy12588 - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM

A POX ON ALL YANKEE-RED SOX STORIES

8. pbannard - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Garcia didn’t actually throw eight shutout innings – he allowed two unearned runs. Plus, he made the error that made both runs unearned, so they were certainly his fault even if he still gets the 0 I the ER column.

• kiwicricket - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Most stupid rule in baseball.

• Old Gator - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM

After the designated hitter rule.

• stex52 - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM

What OG said.

9. hcf95688 - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM

The Padres beat the giants. Any time the A’s win and the giants lose is a good day, its like winning a doubleheader. Yesterday was a good day.

10. pw38 - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:25 AM

As a Rangers fan I have no sympathy for the Angels. I know, shocking right? It seems like I’m trolling when I read their papers and comments section but damnit if I don’t like it. Keep taking on water boys! :D

11. stex52 - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Mission accomplished. Astros management wanted to set Brad Mills up to fail so that there could be some semblence of “coming to the rescue” by firing him. We actually have no idea from the last two years if he could manage a major league team. Houston doesn’t have a major league team. I understood the need for an overhaul of the organization, but this has really descended into something ugly. I’m curious to see who they think will be coming to Minute Maid for the next three years.

One virtue, though. Luhnow has left himself with no cover if the rebuild doesn’t work. Count me as a skeptic at this point.

• Old Gator - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I was wondering where you were this weekend. Yes, it’s gotten ugly – uglier than mere losing. I know, however, that we feel for each other. I take some comfort from that.

• stex52 - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Wife and I are moving to a new house. Very busy. I wrote some replies last night, but the threads were 12 hours old.

Glad Carlos is helping the Marlins. He got a bad rap in Houston. He did a pretty good job of what he was paid for. He was just paid too much. And he wasn’t nearly good enough to save a team that was spiraling down the drain all by himself. What is funny in a sad way is that at the time they brought Carlos in because they thought he was what they needed to get back to the World Series. Talk about not understanding your situation!!

The brotherhood of sorrow, that’s us. Perhaps at least the Marlins have more of a base to start over from. But the grim times will go on for a while.

12. southpaw2k - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Meanwhile, the Orioles are quietly still in the driver’s seat for one of the two wild card spots.

Has MLB announced what will happen should there be a three-way (or more) tie for one or both wild card spots? If such a thing happens, and there’s every reason to think that it would, the excitement from those elimination games would make last season’s final day look like a game of Bingo.

13. Old Gator - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The Feesh played their usual score early, take a siesta game yesterday. The Rocky Mountain Oysters made them pay. Once again, a Feesh peetcher is good enough to win but gets little or no support. Now the Rainbow Warriors head down to the baking valley to confront the Rattlers and their peessed-orf manager.

Usually, I like dried Feesh.

14. madhatternalice - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yanks/Sox was 4-1, not 4-3?

15. sportsdrenched - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Is Jeremy Guthrie for real? I have a hard time buying in, after all, I’ve seen Renylveys Hernandez & Jose Lima put togther excellent months in a Royals uniform. But you can’t blame a guy for hoping right?

16. APBA Guy - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I’d be more excited about Parker’s “Real Deal” performance last night if it hadn’t come against an Indians team that barely registers a pulse. Such lackadaisical everything. I think the team believes that the manager is gone, but they are safe. Hardly. When you play at or below replacement level you are by definition, replaceable. As well they should be.

The A’s took advantage of their moribund opponents with two HR’s, one from Crisp, he and Ichiro are tied for the year in HR’s to give everyone some perspective. Chris Carter continues to sport a 1.000 OPS. And the A’s welcome Minnesota in for a 3 game set today. So reasons to be optimistic.

The cliff is coming, however. The team travels to Tampa for a weekend set, then on to Cleveland again. After that, things get ugly in September:

– AL East for 9 games
    – Texas for 7
    – Detroit for 3
    – Angels for 7
    – Seattle for 6

That’s a very tough close, especially considering they’ll probably see the King twice, and I expect the Angels won’t be a rollover either. We’re enjoying it while it lasts, and it’s just such a nice change to have the games mean something this late in the year.

17. boiler90 - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I was at the Reds-Cubs game yesterday, and, yes, it was ugly. But Volstad giving up only 4 runs in 6 innings is actually a win in his book.

18. johndryden - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

CRAIG

19. johndryden - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

CRAIG: Yes scores like the Mariners’ matter, even now. If you look at their record since the All-Star break, you’ll see that it shows real improvement. They’re likely to be contenders next year, at least for a wildcard slot. Baseball’s more interesting than just who’s winning this year. Watching a team progress and build has value and interest. You’re just being so typically American–in the moment and nothing else matters; splashy things only matter, etc.

Speaking of splashy, flashy things. Where’s Tiffany Simons? Why aren’t you two making your snappy videos any more?

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3161)