And the worst outfield fans in baseball are …

Aug 20, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT

Phillies-Fans

… OK, that’s not fair. It was just one man’s opinion in the course of this long and fun article from Jerry Crasnick in which we hear all about the interaction between fans and outfielders across the majors. The good, the bad and the ugly.

As for the ugly, Crasnick asked one guy who has a generally good relationship with outfield fans — Jeff Francoeur — where the worst place to patrol the grass happens to be:

“Philly is the worst — no doubt about it,” Francoeur says. “I thought it was bad when I was with the Braves. Then it got even worse when I played for the Mets and we went there. In New York, people just yell at you. In Philly, they wear you out. Even the little kids can be rough in Philly. It’s way out of bounds.”

Hey, if Jeff Francoeur said it, it has to be true. Right?

1. eagles7to10 - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM

As a Philly fan and native, that makes me proud. Knowing we can rattle players by us taunting them only makes me want to go to more games. Thanks Jeff.

• Gonzo - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM

What kind of person is proud to be an asshole?

• biasedhomer - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

You don’t have to be an asshole to taunt someone.

So every team that actually has a home field advantage mainly because of the fan base (not fan bases of the Braves and Nationals, etc) has fans that are only assholes?

• Gonzo - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

@Biased: Read Franceour’s quote. Philly fans are assholes of the highest order. No home field advantage because of it.

• biasedhomer - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM

yea I read the quote, you should also. He says they wear you out. If he is playing at his home park, would the fans wear him out?

2. El Bravo - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Troll score = 7.5 Good work.

3. muir6 - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Don’t rattle anyone u embaress yourselves, a jail in arena assaulting fans with their children. Losing seasons and white trash fans

• skerney - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

What language is this, muir6?

• bleedgreen - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

You realize theres no holding cell in CBP right? And theres plenty of OTHER stadiums in the country with holding cells, right? Cleveland, Oakland and Washington’s NFL stadiums ALL have holding cells in them.

4. sdelmonte - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The worst outfield fans? The Mets…oh wait, I thought you asked for the fans of the worst outfield.

• cowboysoldiertx - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM

AMEN!

5. drunkenhooliganism - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I feel bad if the taunting rendered him unable to differentiate a pitch down the middle of the plate from one two feet outside and in the dirt.

6. hittfamily - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

You gotta laugh at yourself right?

If you are in the outfield seats at the Trop you most likely are:

A) A highschool kid on a date wanting a little privacy (under the tarps if things go well)
    B) Homeless and $6 for 5 hours in the AC with restrooms is a hell of a deal.
    C) Nott allowed to be within 100 feet of minors (probably true in Philly too)
    D) An average aged St Pete resident (Elderly) and crashed through the bleachers while driving to Cracker Barrel
    E) Scott Kazmir or Willy Aybar reliving the glory days.

• paint771 - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Or F) an empty seat.

• hittfamily - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Me: 56 up
        You: 59 up

Jerk :)

• cowboysoldiertx - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

G) A person with dementia

• hittfamily - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:39 PM

After thinking about this post for a while, I am starting to dislike my word “homeless”. 20 years ago, “bum” became “homeless”. But with this recession, a “bum” and “homeless” aren’t the same. There are lot’s of good people who find themselves homeless because of WalMart’s $6.25 wages, Restaurants still paying at or below minimum wage, and immoral banking practices that affect both buyers and renters. What is the best word HBT community to draw a distinction. Bum again? Transient? Panhandler? I mean this in sincerity. Homeless doesn’t draw a distinction between a panhandler and a full time worker who is schemed by corporate America to either not being able to make rent via low wages, or a homeowner who signed a deceitful loan.

• bradmoss1 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Urban Outdoorsman

7. phanatic514 - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM

As a phillies fan I can definitely agree with what Francoeur said. I go to a couple of games each year and usually sit in or near the outfield area. Every game I went to at least one of the opposing teams outfielders would get it handed to them. Two occasions that come to mind are austin kearns and cody ross. In the game with with kearns the phils were playing the nationals and I remember in one of the first innings kearns hit a homerun, for the rest of the game all he heard was “You suck, Austin.” For Ross, I remember it was his first game played against the Phillies after he destroyed us in the postseason. This one guy sitting next to me was relentless “Nice chicken legs, cody.” “Hit a gym, shrimp.” “If you wear those socks any higher they’ll be up your butt”

• rickhigginshtbro - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

My favorite outfield memory was the NLCS in 08 and the Manny chants. It was obvious that he was getting flustered by the 6th inning.

8. flyinhighwithvick - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Slow news day in Calcaterra-land? Oh but wait, it’s hall of famer Jeff Francoeur’s opinion, so it’s relevant. At least in Philly, there’s fans in the outfield seats, unlike in Atlanta and a lot of other stadiums. We get it Craig, we’re the absolute lowest form of human life there is on earth…..don’t lose anymore hair over it.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:56 PM

You get points for a relatively good comeback.

9. Marty - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Perhaps too general a statement, but the more likely you are to make an impact by mouthing off all game, the more likely you are an alcoholic who likely ruffs up your wife if your team loses. And if you haven’t yet you probably will and you know it.

10. eagles7to10 - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Gonzo, why am I an asshole for taunting players? If I’m not crossing any lines but just good old fashion trash talk and that rubs a player the wrong way then there is NOTHING wrong with that. If I have any effect on a players performance because of something I say then 1. That player shouldn’t be in the bigs and 2. I’m going to keep doing it in hopes he has some positive outcome for my team. Anyone who doesn’t understand that just isn’t a fan of the game.

11. philk0731 - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Philly is full of inbred fans, from the Phillies to the Eagles and the Flyers.

12. eagles7to10 - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Philk you sound very intelligent. Thanks for your input.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I think your lying.

• raysfan1 - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Oh, THAT is what the sarcasm font looks like. Thanks.

13. tuftsb - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Fans are pretty brave and comfortable saying smack while in a large anonymous group behind a fence after a few $ 8 beers.

It’s the same on the internet – why not use your real name in a blog and take full ownership of your words? It’s not like any of you are Thomas Paine and about to be hunted down and killed by the authorities for treason.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Just have to decide whether my name is Dick Hurtz or Bud Weiser.

14. yahmule - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Back in the day, certain players used to ride their opponents from the dugout. They called them bench jockeys. You don’t see them anymore. Today’s athletes are very caught up in not wanting to be “disrespected”. Negative or taunting comments directed at an opponent will lead to some kind of major altercation nowadays.

The problem with fans heckling players is most of these guys get obscene or vulgar and they offend the people seated around them. I’m not just talking about swearing in front of kids, either. A fair percentage of people resent paying good money to hear a bunch of crass language regardless of their age.

I do find it surprising when athletes visibly react to heckling. I’m amazed players can make it to the major leagues and still have rabbit ears. Inevitably, once they respond in any way, the guy yelling at them is delighted and redoubles his efforts.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Ever hear of Ron Artest, alias Metta World War? He’s a lunatic basketball player who lost his mind because of taunting and caused a huge fight between fans and players among some other violent acts he has perpetrated. He’s a headcase but is a top player in the NBA. Some guys are thin skinned, some aren’t. Heckling and taunting by fans will not go away.

• yahmule - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I don’t think I ever suggested heckling will go away. I don’t care what people say as long as they keep it relatively above board.

Ron Artest got on my shit list for life when I found out he owned a couple Great Danes and used to go on road trips without providing them with food or water. His neighbors used to throw food and water over the fence to keep the dogs alive for him.

Even though he’s a lowlife, I can understand him flipping out in Detroit because he got pegged with a drink during a game where emotions were already running high.

• spol85 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Artest went after the fan after he had a beer thrown on him. Thats a lot different than taunting.

15. trainman59 - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Taunt-A remark made in order to anger, wound, or provoke someone.
    This behavior happens in all sports, at almost every age level, and it always bugs me. I generally tune it out but I fail to see anything “good”or “fun” about it. In fact it seems a bit cowardly to taunt someone who is not able to retaliate.

16. jelliot1978 - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Any fan base tries to do things to get under the opposing teams’ skin. Unfortunately some people will cross the line but if you can do it in good fun then have at it. Is waving something behind the net at a basketball game wrong? Heckling a goalie after letting in a weak goal? Vulgarity shouldn’t be a part of it though, keep it clean, make it funny and have at it.

17. Jonny 5 - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Playing in front of Philly fans probably ranks just under being interviewed by a guy who is obsessed with my lack of ability for years, writing about it at length, etc… (cough, cough, AHEM Calcaterra, cough!)

:>P

18. xmatt0926x - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Did people click on the link for the whole story? I ask because I wonder if people would be offended by what Chipper said as far as outfield fans having less class as evidenced by them buying the cheaper outfield tickets. I read that a couple times and wondered if people would generally agree with that or think he was an ass for saying that.

19. freebie717 - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Craig – are you related to Chris Chase by any chance? You two are the worst “sports” bloggers I’ve ever read. But I guess I would be a bitter little troll too if I had to live in Columbus, Ohio. You do realize that NBC is owned by Comcast, which is headed in Philadelphia, right? Eventually someone higher up is going to realize that you don’t actually write about sports and that you just constantly try to belittle an entire city and you will get canned. Karma comes around fast and it hits hard. Have a nice night.

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Tell me more about the company I work for. I had no idea whatsoever.

• yahmule - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I strongly doubt jamming on Philadelphia can negatively impact anyone’s karma.

• freebie717 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I thought about posting a link to Comcast’s investor page here and then just writing a quick few sentences summarizing it and trying to be funny, but then I’d just be a pretentious dbag that can’t put together an original thought to save my life. You know what I mean, Craig?

20. phillyphan83 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM

some would view this as being the best outfield fans in MLB. if our 10 year olds can get in your head and knock you off your game, that’s called a home field advantage. last I checked, that’s a check mark in the plus column, not the negative.

21. rjmarrella - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Eagles7to10…. HELL YES,

22. rjmarrella - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:20 AM

And by the way, francouer is a crowd favorite because he is such a fun and easy target for our outfield fans…. Especially when he does his little “half squat” when fielding a fly ball.

23. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:23 AM

When Frenchy talks, people(OK, just Craig) listen(s)!!! In all seriousness, if he had thrown out the whole “they throw batteries at you” nonsense, then I would have had a little more respect for his comments. But to say “the Phillies fans just wear you out” is pretty pathetic.

“We sorry, Mr. Frenchy…did we hurted poopsie’s feelings? We will twy not to say anything that may offend you next time you come to Philly, OK?” Grow the hell up dude.

24. hisgirlgotburrelled - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Francoeur was mostly shocked by fans in the outfield because he was so used to the empty seats at their home field in Atlanta.

25. hisgirlgotburrelled - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Really, Craig, you’re a Braves fan. Earlier yesterday you write about how winning brings fans and money. They’re 18 games over .500 and are 16th in attendance per game. How many division titles did they win in a row? Since 2001 they have been about 14th in attendance per game. At least Miami and Tampa Bay have the excuse that there are a lot of transplant residents. Atlanta, apparently they only showed when there was a World Series. But, no, tell us more about how yelling fans that are actually at the game is worse.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3727)