Aug 20, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
For the past four seasons Buffalo has been the Triple-A home of the Mets, but with a 255-304 record during that time there’s been speculation that the relationship is coming to an end.
Bisons manager Wally Backman all but confirmed that yesterday to Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News:
I would guess that’s true. It’s a shame for us, really. Buffalo is a great city but I don’t envision us coming back, from the things I’ve heard from the grapevine.
Buffalo is apparently dumping the Mets for the Blue Jays, who had been in the Pacific Coast League.
There had been some thought that the Mets, if dropped by Buffalo, would stay in the International League and sign on with nearby Rochester, but that’s no longer a possibility after Rochester reached a two-year extension with the Twins.
So where does that leave the Mets? Scrambling for a new Triple-A home and likely being forced out of the International League and into the Pacific Coast League where they’d take over Las Vegas from the Blue Jays. That’s proven to be a less than ideal locale, in part because the PCL and Las Vegas specifically are incredibly hitter-friendly environments that make it tough to develop young pitchers and properly evaluate prospects in general.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 11
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)