Aug 20, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
For the past four seasons Buffalo has been the Triple-A home of the Mets, but with a 255-304 record during that time there’s been speculation that the relationship is coming to an end.
Bisons manager Wally Backman all but confirmed that yesterday to Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News:
I would guess that’s true. It’s a shame for us, really. Buffalo is a great city but I don’t envision us coming back, from the things I’ve heard from the grapevine.
Buffalo is apparently dumping the Mets for the Blue Jays, who had been in the Pacific Coast League.
There had been some thought that the Mets, if dropped by Buffalo, would stay in the International League and sign on with nearby Rochester, but that’s no longer a possibility after Rochester reached a two-year extension with the Twins.
So where does that leave the Mets? Scrambling for a new Triple-A home and likely being forced out of the International League and into the Pacific Coast League where they’d take over Las Vegas from the Blue Jays. That’s proven to be a less than ideal locale, in part because the PCL and Las Vegas specifically are incredibly hitter-friendly environments that make it tough to develop young pitchers and properly evaluate prospects in general.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 245
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)