Aug 20, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
For the past four seasons Buffalo has been the Triple-A home of the Mets, but with a 255-304 record during that time there’s been speculation that the relationship is coming to an end.
Bisons manager Wally Backman all but confirmed that yesterday to Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News:
I would guess that’s true. It’s a shame for us, really. Buffalo is a great city but I don’t envision us coming back, from the things I’ve heard from the grapevine.
Buffalo is apparently dumping the Mets for the Blue Jays, who had been in the Pacific Coast League.
There had been some thought that the Mets, if dropped by Buffalo, would stay in the International League and sign on with nearby Rochester, but that’s no longer a possibility after Rochester reached a two-year extension with the Twins.
So where does that leave the Mets? Scrambling for a new Triple-A home and likely being forced out of the International League and into the Pacific Coast League where they’d take over Las Vegas from the Blue Jays. That’s proven to be a less than ideal locale, in part because the PCL and Las Vegas specifically are incredibly hitter-friendly environments that make it tough to develop young pitchers and properly evaluate prospects in general.
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 8
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 55
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 50
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 53
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)