Aug 20, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
For the past four seasons Buffalo has been the Triple-A home of the Mets, but with a 255-304 record during that time there’s been speculation that the relationship is coming to an end.
Bisons manager Wally Backman all but confirmed that yesterday to Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News:
I would guess that’s true. It’s a shame for us, really. Buffalo is a great city but I don’t envision us coming back, from the things I’ve heard from the grapevine.
Buffalo is apparently dumping the Mets for the Blue Jays, who had been in the Pacific Coast League.
There had been some thought that the Mets, if dropped by Buffalo, would stay in the International League and sign on with nearby Rochester, but that’s no longer a possibility after Rochester reached a two-year extension with the Twins.
So where does that leave the Mets? Scrambling for a new Triple-A home and likely being forced out of the International League and into the Pacific Coast League where they’d take over Las Vegas from the Blue Jays. That’s proven to be a less than ideal locale, in part because the PCL and Las Vegas specifically are incredibly hitter-friendly environments that make it tough to develop young pitchers and properly evaluate prospects in general.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)