Chipper Jones calls Curt Schilling “a shock jock”

Aug 20, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

Chipper Jones AP

Fun times on talk radio: Curt Schilling suggested that Chipper Jones may not really want to retire and that he’d possibly come back with an AL team and DH next year. Chipper Jones went on 790 The Zone in Atlanta and shot that down rather sharply:

Curt Schilling has thrown out the concept of you coming back to not only play, but play for an American League team. Your thoughts on conversations like that?

“Well I am sure Curt Schilling being the shock jock that he is probably trying to stir up some interest for ESPN and raise the question, but as I said so many times I got four boys at home. I made promises to them that daddy is done playing baseball. After this year we are going on vacations. We are going to go on summer vacations and I am just not willing to go back on that promise.

And that’s before mentioning that the Braves have an option on Jones for 2013, so he couldn’t just go play for someone else anyway.

1. professormaddog31 - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM

This has no bearing on anything but man, I really don’t like Curt Schilling.

• djpostl - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Has anyone EVER seen so many thumbs up versus only one thumbs down on this site? Curt Schilling, bringing humanity together!

• professormaddog31 - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I should just stop posting comments now because I’ll never post anything better than this ever in my message boarding career.

• djpostl - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Screencap it for posterity lol.

• thomas2727 - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I just won $20 bucks from my buddy. I bet him I would get a thumbs down within 10 minutes. Thanks for the easy money.

• Old Gator - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Curt Schilling uses Todd Akins’ gynecologist.

• thomas2727 - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM

And we all know who the one thumbs down is from don’t we?

• hankg42 - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Beat me to it! :-)

2. stex52 - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Like this is a surprise about Schilling? He’d better keep it shocking. I imaging he is going to be in litigation over his defunct business for the rest of his natural life.

3. mybrunoblog - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM

That picture of Jones has him looking like a man who just ate two dishes of Mexican food and realized the meat was spoiled.
    That and anyone who calls out Schilling is a good guy in my book.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

That picture of Chipper needs the caption “Damn kids, get off my lawn!”

4. prrbrr - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Curt is washed up and ESPN seems a perfect place for him to just disappear….that is until HBT brings him out into the light

5. jolink653 - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Chipper Jones could never play for another team and I’m sure Atlanta would have a spot for him no matter how long he decided to keep going

6. scatterbrian - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Actually Schilling is a sock jock.

7. djdvd - Aug 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Thank you chipper for saying what we are all thinking. Schilling is about as good of a commentator as he is a game developer.

• cranbery - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Thanks, Chipper………..I could not have said it any better!

• infectorman - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

His first game did very well, according to industry experts. so go back into your hole now…

8. thebigcaptain2011 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:21 PM

The more and more idiocy I hear from Schilling gives more and more credence to the conspiracy theorists who say that the whole “bloody sock” thing was a ruse. It looks like Schilling is an attention whore.

• cranbery - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I thought it was suspicious at the time…………….he is just not a nice guy!

9. riverace19 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Very funny Scatterbrian!! I have always been a Chipper fan but this year my respect for him has increased alot… a throwback straight shooter who is 100% legit and a first ballot HOFer… it has been a privelage to watch him all these years. The more Schilling talks the more credibility he loses, kind of the opposite of Chipper. I am certain that this is Chipper’s last year in MLB.

• cranbery - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Chipper is and always has been the Best!

10. kevinbnyc - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM

1. Chipper might be as good a dude/dad as he is at baseball. General philandering aside.
    2. I’m surprised Chipper didn’t bust out some obscure baseball-only insult on Schilling. Like, “That Curt Schilling is a real jangalang.”

11. mannyicey - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Hi!

I honestly didn’t have anything else to add. I just wanted to join the “We are the World!- Schilling Bash-2012″ event and be #139.

“Kum-baa-yaa, My Lawd. Kum-baa-yaa…”

12. stackers1 - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Shilling was, is and always will be a first rate jakov.

13. jpack1974 - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM

In the past 5 years, how many games has Chipper played? Really, he should have retired 5 years ago. OVERATED! Period.

• jlovenotjlo - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

You used an exclamation point, not a period. Period.

• mckludge - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I know you’re being a troll here, but 5 years ago? Dude hit .364 with a 1.044 OPS 4 years ago.

• paul621 - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

As of yesterday’s game, 570.

14. stairwayto7 - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Can’t stand either one of these guys, however all Larry Jones has to say was, “Ask Shilling about his business!” BAM OUTTA HERE!

15. billymc75 - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Amen! So are all the other members of Red Sox nation!

16. yahmule - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Schilling’s word is worth nothing, so he assumes everybody else is the same way.

17. phatnate - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Trust me, Chipper isn’t a greedy waffle like Brett Favre.

18. urfinished - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Chipper Jones is awesome…as long as youre not his wife…and I’m not for clarity’s sake.
    So I like him.

19. cornfedhonky - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

These two d-bags deserve each other. Keep at it fellas. Misery loves company.

20. cranbery - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Thank you, Chipper for saying what I would if I had the opportunity!
    Will miss you a lot next year…………You Are The Best!

21. mikecubbie69 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM

If Chipper Jones is pissed, it can mean only one thing…..Curt Schilling is running his big fat mouth again! Is there a subject that Schilling doesnt consider himself the worlds biggest expert on?

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3286)