Aug 20, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
The Sox offense was not the problem for most of the season, but it definitely took a downward turn when David Ortiz went out with an achilles injury in mid July. It’s too late to save the season now, but Ortiz is finally coming back from this week.
Ortiz tells Sean McAdam of CSNNewEngland.com that he won’t play Tuesday, but:
But I’m finally feeling better. Hopefully before (the team leaves for its Aug. 26 road trip). We’ll see how it goes once I start running. Hopefully (on the homestand). If things continue the way they are, yeah.”
Ortiz is hitting .316/.414/.609 with 23 home runs in just 89 games on the season. It’s doubtful the season could have been salvaged if he had been here all month, but it’s pretty much sunk now regardless.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29