Aug 20, 2012, 8:22 AM EST
The Sox offense was not the problem for most of the season, but it definitely took a downward turn when David Ortiz went out with an achilles injury in mid July. It’s too late to save the season now, but Ortiz is finally coming back from this week.
Ortiz tells Sean McAdam of CSNNewEngland.com that he won’t play Tuesday, but:
But I’m finally feeling better. Hopefully before (the team leaves for its Aug. 26 road trip). We’ll see how it goes once I start running. Hopefully (on the homestand). If things continue the way they are, yeah.”
Ortiz is hitting .316/.414/.609 with 23 home runs in just 89 games on the season. It’s doubtful the season could have been salvaged if he had been here all month, but it’s pretty much sunk now regardless.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)