Aug 20, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
The Sox offense was not the problem for most of the season, but it definitely took a downward turn when David Ortiz went out with an achilles injury in mid July. It’s too late to save the season now, but Ortiz is finally coming back from this week.
Ortiz tells Sean McAdam of CSNNewEngland.com that he won’t play Tuesday, but:
But I’m finally feeling better. Hopefully before (the team leaves for its Aug. 26 road trip). We’ll see how it goes once I start running. Hopefully (on the homestand). If things continue the way they are, yeah.”
Ortiz is hitting .316/.414/.609 with 23 home runs in just 89 games on the season. It’s doubtful the season could have been salvaged if he had been here all month, but it’s pretty much sunk now regardless.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 41
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (97)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)