Aug 20, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
The Sox offense was not the problem for most of the season, but it definitely took a downward turn when David Ortiz went out with an achilles injury in mid July. It’s too late to save the season now, but Ortiz is finally coming back from this week.
Ortiz tells Sean McAdam of CSNNewEngland.com that he won’t play Tuesday, but:
But I’m finally feeling better. Hopefully before (the team leaves for its Aug. 26 road trip). We’ll see how it goes once I start running. Hopefully (on the homestand). If things continue the way they are, yeah.”
Ortiz is hitting .316/.414/.609 with 23 home runs in just 89 games on the season. It’s doubtful the season could have been salvaged if he had been here all month, but it’s pretty much sunk now regardless.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)