Aug 20, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
The New York Times had a great story about the history and evolution of the bench coach yesterday. It’s not gonna stop me from always lazily assuming that the bench coach is around to have beers with the manager after the game, but it is going to at least realize that when I do so, I am wrong. Mostly.
Fun anecdotes in there a-plenty, but also a pretty good assessment of what the modern bench coach is really all about:
Bench coaches have more responsibilities than ever. With managers diverted to pregame and postgame news conferences and other demands, they must delegate more. “Bench coaches run spring training and do things like schedule batting practice and stretching before games,” Pettini said.
Baseball’s technological and numbers revolution has also expanded the bench coach’s portfolio to include monitoring scouting reports and statistics.
Being a manager is like having any other high-responsibility, high-pressure job. You gotta have an assistant who can make sure you have the stuff you need when you need it and who, when you’re occupied with something else, can think about the things you’re missing.
I’d still want one that would drink beers with me after the game, of course. Just as long as he could also do that other stuff too.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)