Aug 20, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
The New York Times had a great story about the history and evolution of the bench coach yesterday. It’s not gonna stop me from always lazily assuming that the bench coach is around to have beers with the manager after the game, but it is going to at least realize that when I do so, I am wrong. Mostly.
Fun anecdotes in there a-plenty, but also a pretty good assessment of what the modern bench coach is really all about:
Bench coaches have more responsibilities than ever. With managers diverted to pregame and postgame news conferences and other demands, they must delegate more. “Bench coaches run spring training and do things like schedule batting practice and stretching before games,” Pettini said.
Baseball’s technological and numbers revolution has also expanded the bench coach’s portfolio to include monitoring scouting reports and statistics.
Being a manager is like having any other high-responsibility, high-pressure job. You gotta have an assistant who can make sure you have the stuff you need when you need it and who, when you’re occupied with something else, can think about the things you’re missing.
I’d still want one that would drink beers with me after the game, of course. Just as long as he could also do that other stuff too.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1