Aug 20, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
Chris Perez has seen his fair share of controversy this year. He’s challenged the fan base. He has gesticulated and emoted in ways that have really pissed off the opposition. He got all Internet Tough Guy and tweeted about how he’s gonna plunk Royals hitters. He, inexplicably, went to war with the beloved Kenny Lofton.
But — and I am only linking, not describing, because it’s a bit NSFW for us — Deadspin explains that he’s now getting into the kind of thing that could lead to a suspension. Just ask Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell. And yes the fan was being a jerk too, but the player has to not take that kind of bait and certainly not get into profane exchanges with fans. Bad, bad form in my view.
But even if Perez doesn’t get in trouble over this, it’s bad news for him. Because it’s not like we haven’t seen this story a million times. A high-energy, colorful in-your-face relief pitcher wears on people’s nerves, though generally gets ignored and gets eye-rolls when he’s saving all of the games. The second that fastball goes away, however, he becomes just another bullpen arm. That attitude wears thin, and his life expectancy in the game is way shorter than your average, workaday reliever.
But hey, if Perez wants the Kenny Powers career path, that’s his prerogative.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)