Aug 20, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
CBS just announced the cast for the next season of “Survivor” and it includes former five-time All-Star and National League MVP Jeff Kent.
I stopped watching “Survivor” back when that’s how everyone knew of Elisabeth Hasselbeck, but one of the best second basemen of all time being on the show might actually get me to tune in again.
If the show’s producers are reading this, I have a couple suggestions:
1) Make “washing your pickup truck” an immunity challenge, because it’s clear that Kent has no advantage over anyone else there. “Coming up with plausible excuses for off-field injuries” could also be a challenge.
2) If Kent ever wins a reward that allows him to visit a family member, please force him to instead welcome former teammate Barry Bonds to the island. Just trust me.
Kent is 44 years old and, based on the publicity photo, still appears to be in pretty good shape, so if his lying and fighting skills remain sharp he seems like a pretty good contestant. And he won’t be the only celebrity, as Lisa Whelchel, who played Blair Warner on “The Facts Of Life” in the 1980s, is also a contestant.
The new season is set in the Philippines and premieres on September 19. Kent, who earned nearly $90 million during his 17-year playing career, will be competing for a $1 million prize.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (121)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)