Aug 20, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
CBS just announced the cast for the next season of “Survivor” and it includes former five-time All-Star and National League MVP Jeff Kent.
I stopped watching “Survivor” back when that’s how everyone knew of Elisabeth Hasselbeck, but one of the best second basemen of all time being on the show might actually get me to tune in again.
If the show’s producers are reading this, I have a couple suggestions:
1) Make “washing your pickup truck” an immunity challenge, because it’s clear that Kent has no advantage over anyone else there. “Coming up with plausible excuses for off-field injuries” could also be a challenge.
2) If Kent ever wins a reward that allows him to visit a family member, please force him to instead welcome former teammate Barry Bonds to the island. Just trust me.
Kent is 44 years old and, based on the publicity photo, still appears to be in pretty good shape, so if his lying and fighting skills remain sharp he seems like a pretty good contestant. And he won’t be the only celebrity, as Lisa Whelchel, who played Blair Warner on “The Facts Of Life” in the 1980s, is also a contestant.
The new season is set in the Philippines and premieres on September 19. Kent, who earned nearly $90 million during his 17-year playing career, will be competing for a $1 million prize.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 64
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 30
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)