Aug 20, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
Collins declined to reveal the exact number, but told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York that Santana will be allowed to throw fewer than 100 pitches when he takes his normal turn in the rotation Thursday versus the Rockies, in New York.
Santana hasn’t topped 95 pitches in a start since June anyway, so obviously that’s not the issue in terms of his performance, but the Mets are also focused on keeping his workload in check. Collins indicated that shutting Santana down in September remains an option.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)