John Lackey threw a bullpen session and Bobby Valentine “was very impressed”

Aug 20, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

John Lackey Reuters

John Lackey is out for the entire season following Tommy John elbow surgery, but has advanced far enough in his recovery that he threw a 45-pitch bullpen session yesterday at Yankee Stadium.

And Bobby Valentine liked what he saw, telling Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston:

He threw with an ease of motion and with perfect location. I was very impressed with what I saw. He’s feeling really good about his progress. From what I remember the last time I saw him throwing and what I saw today, it looked like different people. He said it was a different effort, he was throwing through so much pain in the past.

Plenty of Red Sox fans were angry to learn that Lackey is merely allowed to hang out in the clubhouse while injured, so his rejoining the rotation next year may be a shock to everyone’s system, but he’s owed $15.25 million plus another $15.25 million in 2014.

He pitched horribly enough before undergoing surgery that Lackey likely won’t be handed a starting spot, but by the time spring training rolls around he’ll be about 17 months removed from surgery and should be fully recovered.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM

All these dramatics and schematics of the current Red Sox team has made me forget John Lackey even exists until they pan in the dugout chomping on gum nonstop. I would not be sad, nor dissappointed, if I ever saw him pitch or throw another on-field tantrum again.

2. spudatx - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I can’t remember the last time anyone said the words “John Lackey” and “very impressed” in the same sentence when “Coors Light” and “fried chicken” weren’t also part of the statement.

• jolink653 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

“The Yankees were very impressed with the batting practice pitches John Lackey threw during the game in which he lasted an inning and a third, giving up 10 hits and 8 runs.”

3. uyf1950 - Aug 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Is this the same Bobby Valentine that has expressed confidence in his starting rotation from day 1? Now he’s impressed by Lackey’s throwing session. That’s reason enough to let Valentine go.

4. riverace19 - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Just another Valentine comment to add to his Idiot Resume

5. willclarkgameface - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Part of his rehab regimen has been throwing empty beer cans into a garbage can shaped like a catchers mitt. True story.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM

That’s just stupid- throwing empty beer cans into a garbage can. Everyone knows that he threw a normal bullpen session while wearing one of those dual-guzzle beer hats with the tubes on the side.

• hittfamily - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Bastard needs to recycle!

• jolink653 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Dammit you beat me to it

6. Francisco (FC) - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM

He was impressed because Lackey only allowed 1 ER in 4 innings of work during the bullpen session.

• pisano - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM

He was impressed because Lackey may have been sober, that is may have been.

7. southpaw2k - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I really wish there was a way to record all the craziness going on with the Red Sox this year in a single video. I’d rewatch it time and again to savor the chaos. If you wrote a movie script with all this dysfunction, I doubt audiences would buy it.

• willclarkgameface - Aug 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

That lame ass show following around the Marlins should have been following the Red Sox this year. But come to think of it, Larry would have made that production team sign a deal that they could only film the things he approved with no access to the clubhouse or his office.

It would have been a season of listening to those two bozos up in the NESN booth (both of whom SUCK beyond words…Orsillo is such a Sean McDonough poser) read statements and e-mails written by Larry and looking for that lame ass Wally costume.

The Red Sox probably couldn’t even get a reality show done the right way this year.

8. pisano - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

On a serious note, it’s a shame what this ownership and backstabbing players have done to a once proud and highly respected franchise. I’ll say one thing their die hard fans don’t deserve these scumbags.

9. thebigcaptain2011 - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM

That was a type. He mean’t to say Valentine “was very depressed”.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet