Aug 20, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
John Lackey is out for the entire season following Tommy John elbow surgery, but has advanced far enough in his recovery that he threw a 45-pitch bullpen session yesterday at Yankee Stadium.
And Bobby Valentine liked what he saw, telling Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston:
He threw with an ease of motion and with perfect location. I was very impressed with what I saw. He’s feeling really good about his progress. From what I remember the last time I saw him throwing and what I saw today, it looked like different people. He said it was a different effort, he was throwing through so much pain in the past.
Plenty of Red Sox fans were angry to learn that Lackey is merely allowed to hang out in the clubhouse while injured, so his rejoining the rotation next year may be a shock to everyone’s system, but he’s owed $15.25 million plus another $15.25 million in 2014.
He pitched horribly enough before undergoing surgery that Lackey likely won’t be handed a starting spot, but by the time spring training rolls around he’ll be about 17 months removed from surgery and should be fully recovered.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)