Just a reminder regarding suspensions

Aug 20, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT

Michael Pineda AP

Back in April, when Delmon Young received a seven game suspension for drunkenly walking around New York and yelling things at people, I was willing — perhaps naively — to believe that some of the suspension was for his public intoxication and that it meant that MLB was finally getting serious about alcohol-related incidents.

Unless I missed one, the Michael Pineda DUI arrest was the first alcohol-related incident involving a major leaguer since then. ┬áLet’s see if Major League Baseball does anything about this now. If it even gives a minor suspension to Pineda.

If it doesn’t, the guidelines remain like so:

1. isdtyrant - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Fall asleep at the wheel while stopped at a light, get a job in MLBs front office.

2. sawxalicious - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

This is especially troubling given the tragedy involving Nick Adenhart and his friends. I know the DUI driver was not a ball player, but this is an issue that you’d think would hit home for MLB…I think the player’s union would probably have a hissy fit If MLB tried to discipline a player for a DUI. DUIs are a result of conscious decisions to start drinking alcohol when the mode of transportation home is one’s own vehicle. I’m pretty sure a lot of the players could afford a Hummer Limp to drive them around to the bars every night if they wanted. It’s irresponsible for anyone, let alone a ball player to put the public at risk with drink & driving.

• paperlions - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Josh Hancock was an active player that died as a result of driving drunk. That didn’t have an effect on MLB policy either.

It’s funny, MLB will have a knee jerk overreaction to a freak accident (like the one leading to all 1B and 3B coaches now wearing helmets), but they do absolutely nothing in response to dozens of players/coaches getting DUIs. If ever there was an appropriate time for a knee jerk reaction…it is this…and they missed that one.

• raysfan1 - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM

It’s also 19 years since 2 Indians pitchers died in a boating accident in which the boat driver had a .14 blood alcohol. MLB has had decades to both increase awareness and bring consequences to the who choose to endanger themselves or other either driving or boating while drunk.

3. sawxalicious - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

“Hummer LIMO”
    EDIT FUNCTION!!!!!!

• pinkfloydprism - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

We will never see one…hell, the guys that post on this site do not even have one, especially one of the afternoon guys.

4. spudatx - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Worth noting the Matt Bush incident in the same conversation. He, of course, had a history and his most recent actions resulted in something terrible…

5. Kevin Gillman - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Here is the thing, players of all sports need to use their heads. They are role models, whether they like it or not. If they have to drink, take a cab, or hell…hire a driver. They can sure afford it. They are also represrnting their respective organizations at all times. Why is this so hard to understand?

• mattyflex - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I agree. I work for a behavioral health and substance abuse agency, and if I got caught with a DUI or any kind of drug charge, I lose my job no questions asked. I don’t think anyone would put me in the “role model” category, yet there are still serious repricussions for breaking the law, as it would be seen as an embarrassment to my agency.

• Kevin Gillman - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Exactly matty, and organizations just keep letting this happen. I am not saying go to the hotel rooms, and twiddle the thumbs, but my Gawd, use your head. Sad thing is the union won’t allow them to change their rules, but for the better sake of everyone involved, including human lives, they should.

• tuftsb - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Barkley was right…

• Kevin Gillman - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Barkley ALSO admitted he was wrong just recently. Athletes are role models, whether they want to admit it or not. They also represent their organizations everytime they step foot in public. Their agents may not want to admit it, but they do. Everytime there is an issue, the organization, no matter who they are have to answer to it. We also hear statements from athletes, apologizing to these organzations. All I am asking is use better judgment. Think about everything these athletes have, because in one moment, it can all go away with one simple mistake.

• American of African Descent - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Kevin: Here’s the thing. Athletes are not role models. Athletes are paid to entertain, not to raise your children for you.

When I was a child, I idolized Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden. But I knew enough — from the leadership of my parents, grandparents, teachers, and scoutmaster — that I should not seek to emulate their cocaine habit.

If your child is enamored by an athlete that he wants to mimic the athlete’s drug use, PED use, public intoxication, or any other destructive habit, then you have failed as a parent and you suck at life.

• Kevin Gillman - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM

@American of African Descent: Forget the role model thing, actually, the role model? It should be God, family, friends, in that order. But we all know whether we are raising our kids up right or not doesn’t matter. How many kids are in the backyard nowadays, playing basketball, doing the 5…4…3….2…1….Kobe shoots, and scores? Are you saying that parents should stop their kids from doing that? Whatever, it won’t happen. I also had Dale Murphy poster when I was a kid, a huge fan of his, should I not have done that? Even if you don’t believe athletes are role models, they are. They also represent the organization they play for, so when they get in trouble, it makes the league, and the organization look bad. As Mr. Pineda just did with his DUI, a guy who is currently rehabbing, he knows better. And if you defend his actions, then you @American of African Descent suck at life.

6. sdelmonte - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:01 PM

This might be the one place that the rather, shall we say, dictatorial NFL commish gets it right even if he has too much power. But then the union in that sport gave away too much and the union in this sport perhaps doesn’t give up enough. This should be a high priority for owners and players alike, and I can’t imagine why it’s not.

Though I bet that there will be some internal discipline from Cashman and Levine and the junior bosses.

7. RockChalkMike - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

“Clown car, bro.” -Bryce Harper

• ajcardsfan - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I’m sure clowns would be offended by your insinuation that they are all alcoholics

8. randygnyc - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM

They need to drop the hammer on these cheating, wife beating, drug dealing, gun toting, drunk driving, criminals. Zero tolerance. They should make an example of Pineda.

• hammyofdoom - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM

While I have more reason than most to have strong feelings towards people who drink and drive, putting them into the same category as “gun toting, wife beating” criminals is harsh, and if anything they are different categories of badness. Also cheating doesnt belong in there, you screw yourself up with cheating but the others can hurt/kill others

9. chill1184 - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Double standards in MLB? Im shocked I tell you

10. rcali - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM

What is this, the NFL?

11. chumthumper - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

If you are good at hitting, catching and throwing, MLB will find a place for you.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate