Aug 20, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
The Padres signed Bartlett to a two-year, $11 million contract with an option for 2013 in December of 2010 after acquiring him from the Rays, but he ended up being quite the disappointment, batting just .245/.308/.307 with a .607 OPS last year and .133 (11-for-83) in 29 games this year prior to hitting the disabled list in mid-May with a strained right knee. He hasn’t played a game since.
Bartlett’s $5.5 million option for 2013 would have become guaranteed if he reached 432 plate appearances this year. While the Padres were fortunate that didn’t happen, they’ll still be on the hook for a $1.5 million buyout to turn the page.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)