Aug 20, 2012, 10:31 AM EDT
I will never say that Phillies fans don’t support their team. They obviously do, and with great fervor and zeal. To the extent I take issue with them over their level of support is when Phillies fans lay claim to some sort of Phillies Fan Exceptionalism in which they not only support their team to a higher degree, but that they do so in some qualitatively different way. When they claim not just that they have more fans who show up in greater numbers, but that they are better fans in some way, immune to the hot-and-cold running fandom of other teams.
I take issue with this because, any time you look at the numbers, you realize that it’s not the case. Phillies fans, like everyone else, like a winner and get rather “meh” about things when their team loses. From the Philly Inquirer:
The sale of licensed Major League Baseball merchandise was a $5 billion business in 2011, and the 102-win Phillies, according to figures provided by SportsOneSource, accounted for an astonishingly large share, 16.2 percent … But in this 2012 season, when the club’s run of on-field success has come to a sudden, screeching halt, the falloff in those sales has mirrored the deterioration of its won-loss record.
According to SportsOneSource, a Maine firm that monitors the sale of sports-related merchandise at outlets other than ballparks, the purchase of Phillies-related products has declined by 60 percent.
They’re still second to the Yankees in gross sales, but market share has dipped to 8.9 percent.
Still great, obviously, but evidence that, as a fan base, they haven’t broken old paradigms and that people get more excited about them when they win than when they lose. Like just about everyone else.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)