Aug 20, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
It’s the first such case MLB has had and officials hope that uncovering the scheme will discourage similar attempts.
Something tells me that Melky is not the vanguard of a legion of ballplayers who would attempt such a thing. Indeed, this seems like a pretty singularly stupid caper. Melky is a lone gunman here.
Well, not totally alone. The AP story talks about a Juan Nunez who actually created the website:
The person said Juan Nunez, who works with Cabrera’s agents, purchased an existing website and attempted to alter it in a manner that would allow Cabrera to claim the positive test was caused by a substance obtained through the website. The News reported Nunez paid $10,000 for the website.
I was going to scoff at the price, but then I realized that the positive test likely cost Cabrera about $40 million bucks in a free agency deal this winter, so the risk, even if totally stupid to take and even more stupidly addressed, is understandable.
But it is notable that Nunez works for Melky’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson of ACES. They have said that they had nothing to do with it. Major League Baseball is apparently going to look into that. Fun times.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)