Roger Clemens is gonna pitch again

Aug 20, 2012, 2:00 PM EST

Roger Clemens

The Rocket returns. No, not to the majors, but he will be pitching again:

Sugar Land Skeeters president Matt O’Brien and Roger Clemens’ agent Randy Hendricks told FOX 26 Sports that Roger Clemens worked out for the Skeeters today and will sign with the team.

Hendricks and O’Brien told FOX Clemens will start for the Skeeters this Saturday in Sugar Land.

Skeeters officials said Clemens had a full workout today, was clocked at 87 mph and is in great shape.

Sugar Land is in the Atlantic League in independent ball so it’s not like it should be too hard to crack that rotation. I mean, if the Skeeters didn’t want him, the only other place around with lower standards would be prison leagues and the Houston Astros.

Now: we need the Lancaster Barnstormers to sign Barry Bonds so that everyone’s head can explode at once.

1. mattyflex - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

desperation is a stinky cologne.

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Dude, that’s Eau de Des Peration to you.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Will he have to take steroid tests in that league too?

2. Stiller43 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM

The Skeeters?

• stex52 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

As in “Mosquitos”, the mascot bird of the Gulf Coast area.

3. stex52 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Skeetrs’ ball park is about 15 minutes from my house. It’s really a nice looking facility and the population base should be big enough to support them. Especially since there won’t be a MLB team in Houston for an extended period of time.

I need to run over and watch them.

4. professormaddog31 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Wow. I don’t think Roger’s ever heard that you leave them wanting more.

I mean, even if Roger could still pitch even half as well as he did when he kept us wondering if he’s do his yearly retirement tour, it’s not a good idea for him to come back. There’s nothing I’d like better than for my favorite pitcher to come back because I am positive he could still be better than the entire Cubs rotation and probably half of the Brewers, too, but should he? No. And Roger shouldn’t either.

Actually, Roger should just go into hiding. I could easily live the rest of my life without hearing about him and his desperate grasp for adoration ever again.

• vansloot - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Or maybe he just enjoys playing baseball. I see no reason why he should have to stop playing just because some people worry about what it would mean for his “legacy.”

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Your comment suggests that he has a positive legacy to protect, free from tarnish. bahahahaha!

• vansloot - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Hence the quotes around “legacy.” It was really the original poster that implied that there was some legacy to protect. I was arguing that the whole argument was beside the point.

• historiophiliac - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I wasn’t dogging you.

• brewcrewfan54 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM

The Bewers starting rotation, Randy Wolf aside, is pretty good. Its their bullpen that has let them down all season.

• kopy - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM

You can say the opposite about the Twins. Merge teams?

• brewcrewfan54 - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

A month ago that would have been a great idea. Its too late now.

5. j0esixpack - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

He must be getting his vitamin shots again.

6. thebigcaptain2011 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Aaaahhhh skeet-skeet!

7. lordd99 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM

If the guy wants to pitch, then let him pitch.

It’s basically in his backyard. Don’t expect it will lead to a MLB comeback. An 87mph fastball is impressive for a 50-year-old, but not enough from a righthander. I’m guessing that’s also peak velocity, meaning average is even lower.

• mogogo1 - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Can’t see how it can be money-related unless he worked out a deal for a percentage of ownership or something. I get him loving the game and still being competitive, but when you were once Monet could fingerpainting with toddlers really hold much appeal?

• stmiller02 - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Of course it’s money related! Scumbags of Craig’s ilk raped the man of all his money in a feeble attempt to shine this turd.

8. cosanostra71 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM

here we go

9. andfitch82 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I appreciate the Barnstormers reference haha

10. timb12 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I still take B12 to this day!

11. gatordontplay - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM

1st 10,000 fans will revive the book juiced, needles and beer can for evidence

12. amunoz78 - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM

After his failed gaming company, he’s gotta get income from somewhere.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I believe the man you’re thinking of is a Mr. Curt Schilling, sir.

• CJ - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM

what’s the difference between once heralded pitchers everyone’s sick of hearing about between complete strangers?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Legal names, I suppose.

13. gatordontplay - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM

That’s curt shilling dumb ass

14. kevinbnyc - Aug 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Brett Favre + PED Scandal – Sexting = Roger Clemens

15. nagrommit - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM

If he’s back in professional baseball, at any level, does it reset his HOF eligibility clock? Perhaps hitting the snooze bar on public sentiment for another five years?

16. 18thstreet - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I’m going to withhold comment until I hear from Suzyn Waldman.

• 18thstreet - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Incidentally, I’m very disappointed in the rest of you. This story was up for an hour and no one else made a Waldman joke?

For shame.

17. sabatimus - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

To hell with this “man”.

18. stex52 - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

He’s a professional low-life, but I will go watch him. I mean, WTH, it’s baseball. No arguing his competitiveness. It’s like Jeff Kent. Just pretend he doesn’t exist off of the baseball field.

19. willclarkgameface - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM

What a juicing ass hole, trying to get some innings in with a bunch of kids that weren’t even born when he debuted in MLB. As if he needed another stroke of his 2 inch ego.

20. timpaz - Aug 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Not another Brett Favre, GO AWAY! u should have enough money, don’t need to see another roited athlete hanging on.

21. bigboybilly111 - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

IT’S NOT FOR ROGER, IT’S FOR THE FANS. I’LL BET THAT THE FANS IN THIS AREA WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM PITCH. HE IS A LEGEND. IT’S JUST LIKE GORDIE HOWE PLAYING FOR THE AEROS. IT WOULD HELP THE CLUB SELL TICKETS. HE WOULD PROBABLY SELL OUT EVERY TIME HE PITCHED. THE KIDS DESERVE TO SEE HIM. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT IT IS FOR THE MONEY? WHAT THEY WOULD PAY HIM WOULDN’T PAY FOR HIS MEALS. IT’S ROGER CLEMENS, ROGER CLEMENS INNOCENT HALL OF FAMER ROGER CLEMENS, ONE OF THE BEST OF ALL TIMES. I WOULD SIT WITH ANNOYING SKEETERS TO WATCH HIM AND I WOULD LOVE TO BRING THE GRANDCHILDREN, SIGN ME UP AND SIT ME IN THE NON HATERS SECTION PLEASE!!!!!

• thebigcaptain2011 - Aug 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Yes, he was found innocent and is not a criminal but geez man, turn off the caps lock.

• stuckonwords - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Actually, he was found “not guilty.”

22. mgavin78 - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I wonder if they are going to test him regularly.

23. reido1972 - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

The man is a pitcher! He loves to pitch! He obviously can’t hang em up. I wish him luck.

24. philliephaninva - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Gotta pay for the Juice somehow.

25. brenenostler - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Don’t have a problem with this at all. I’ve always been the “it’s your life, do what you want with it” and not what everyone else wants person.

He obviously loves baseball and wants to play again. Best of luck Roger!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4672)
  2. M. Kemp (3720)
  3. M. Cabrera (2919)
  4. J. Kang (2723)
  5. M. Morse (2607)
  1. J. Upton (2600)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2265)
  3. A. Rios (2261)