Aug 20, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
All you need to know about how poorly Scott Kazmir‘s time with the independent league Sugar Land Skeeters is going can be found in the first sentence of this game recap on the team’s official website:
Eight walks sounds bad, but there are plenty of positives to be found in Scott Kazmir’s last start.
When someone is looking to find “positives” within an eight-walk start from a 28-year-old former big-league All-Star pitching in an independent league … well, things aren’t going well.
Here’s more, from recapper Devon Teeple:
The numbers don’t do it justice. Sure, Kazmir walked eight batters and dropped to 0-5, but he went six innings, the most in his eight appearances. He only allowed two earned runs, and four hits while striking out four. Again, this is a testament to the hard work he is putting in. Take away the walks and Kazmir produced his best start for the Sugar Land Skeeters.
Yes, if you take away the eight walks it wasn’t a bad little outing. Now, in fairness within that same article it says Kazmir’s fastball was clocked in the mid-90s, which would be legitimately encouraging if true.
And now he’ll be rotation-mates with Roger Clemens. Helluva team.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (268)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)