Aug 20, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
All you need to know about how poorly Scott Kazmir‘s time with the independent league Sugar Land Skeeters is going can be found in the first sentence of this game recap on the team’s official website:
Eight walks sounds bad, but there are plenty of positives to be found in Scott Kazmir’s last start.
When someone is looking to find “positives” within an eight-walk start from a 28-year-old former big-league All-Star pitching in an independent league … well, things aren’t going well.
Here’s more, from recapper Devon Teeple:
The numbers don’t do it justice. Sure, Kazmir walked eight batters and dropped to 0-5, but he went six innings, the most in his eight appearances. He only allowed two earned runs, and four hits while striking out four. Again, this is a testament to the hard work he is putting in. Take away the walks and Kazmir produced his best start for the Sugar Land Skeeters.
Yes, if you take away the eight walks it wasn’t a bad little outing. Now, in fairness within that same article it says Kazmir’s fastball was clocked in the mid-90s, which would be legitimately encouraging if true.
And now he’ll be rotation-mates with Roger Clemens. Helluva team.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)