The Astros were watching Roger Clemens’ workout

Aug 20, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT

Roger Clemens Getty Images

UPDATE: Astros owner Jim Crane confirmed to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle that the club did see him throw today. However, he added that they have no plans to bring him back now and would check with MLB first if they ever do.

6:10 PM: A source told Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle that the Astros had scouting director Mike Elias watch Roger Clemens’ throwing session Monday before he signed with the independent Sugar Land Skeeters.

FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal points out that former Astros club president Tal Smith serves as a consultant with the Skeeters, and Rosenthal thinks it’s within the realm of possibility that Clemens could take the mound for Houston next month.

Such a comeback would reset Clemens’ Hall of Fame clock just a couple of months before he’ll be listed on the ballot for the first time. One wonders if that might be part of his motivation here, though; Clemens stands little chance of being elected on the first ballot as is, but push his timetable back another six years after the voters have declared their intentions with Barry Bonds and other suspected cheats and he may well have a better chance of going in immediately.

If Clemens does make it back to the majors, he’d be the game’s first 50-year-old since Minnie Minoso had a two-AB cameo at age 54 in 1980. No one over 50 has ever performed in the majors as anything more than a gimmick.

1. spudatx - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Desperate to sell more tickets, are we?

2. Old Gator - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I bet there was a bunch of federal prosecutors disguised as scouts watching him too. Those clowns nevergive up.

3. Kevin Gillman - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Yes they are, the Astros want to be a side show.

4. dondada10 - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM

“No one over 50 has ever performed in the majors as anything more than a gimmick.”

If Julio Franco wasn’t over 50 that last season, I’ll eat my hat.

• Old Gator - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

How old was Satchel Paige, really? Also, there are documents that prove Juan Leo Carlos Nuñez Oviedo was actually two people, born in Kenya and Indonesia in 1947, 1963 and 1971.

• dondada10 - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Paige started a game for the K.C. A’s in 1965. He was 58. Went 3, 1 hit, 0 BB and 1 SO.

5. timb12 - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

The Astros were also scouting Billy Crystal.

6. dalucks - Aug 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I am sure alot of people want to see Roger Clemens back in baseball. I am not one of those people.

7. royhobbs39 - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM

They get rid of Mills, but give consideration to this??

8. pastortodd78 - Aug 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Julio Franco appeared to be over 50 for much more than just that last season.

9. cowboysoldiertx - Aug 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Please for all that is holy dont bring him back. I want to punch him just looking at his arrogant ass pic! What an Ass Clown!

10. tomnickle - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I really don’t care what kind of man he is. This is baseball and he was almost always dominant, aggressive and worth watching.

The only thing I can’t figure out is why he’d want to pursue the return with the Astros. If I remember correctly the last time he suited up for them he had next to no run support.

• stex52 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:23 AM

He’s a clown. He needs a stage.

11. hammerrm - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I believe everything in this article. What a sad commentary on Clemens that he can’t let go…move on, old balls

12. irishdodger - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM

This has to do w/ him getting in the HoF. Either by resetting his eligibility clock in hopes that his PED story has blown over &/or simply remaking his image by being fan/press-friendly and showing he can pitch competitively w/o PEDs.

13. thatyankeedude - Aug 20, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Not gonna lie i kinda hope Clemens comes back and does good for a few games. Overall the guys a good dude and it would be cool to see a 50 year old do good at a game he dominated

14. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM

The guy is a legend, he can leave the game when he is good and ready to.

GO ROCKET!!

15. spol85 - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I would rather have a 50 year old who could get people out than some of the guys the Astros have been running out there the last few seasons. If he is still capable (and clean) who cares how old he is? They gave Francisco Cordero a shot at closing at 37. How much worse can Clemens be?

16. stex52 - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:21 AM

This is a fine little move for a minor league team like the Skeeters. Create a little excitement. He might even have enough in the tank for a few games with what is essentially a AA level organization.

But the Astros are teetering somewhere between circus sideshow and laughing-stock now. Do they just want to cement it? Seems like the answer may be “yes.”

17. stlouis1baseball - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I fully realize I am in the minority here…but this doesn’t bother me one bit.
    I hope he comes back and does very well. Hell…while they are at it…sign Barry too!

• stex52 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM

If I really thought it was any more than a freak show move by the Astros, I might agree. But I don’t think it is.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3881)