Athletics acquire Stephen Drew from Diamondbacks

Aug 21, 2012, 12:57 AM EDT

Stephen Drew Getty Images

The Athletics finally addressed their weakness at shortstop late tonight, acquiring Stephen Drew from the Diamondbacks for minor league infielder Sean Jamieson.

John Gambadoro of 620 KTAR in Phoenix reports that the trade was made after Oakland claimed Drew off waivers from Arizona two days ago. The Diamondbacks will save a little over $3 million in the deal.

Drew was mentioned as a possible target for the A’s leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline last month and represents a potential upgrade over Cliff Pennington. Oakland has a major-league worst .187 batting average and .545 OPS out of the shortstop position this season.

To be fair, Drew is hitting just .193/.290/.311 with two home runs, 12 RBI and a .601 OPS in 40 games since returning from ankle surgery in late June, but his track record provides reason for optimism.  Drew’s contract includes a $10 million mutual option for 2013 or a $1.35 million buyout.

Jamieson, 23, owns a lowly .234/.345/.354 batting line and a .699 OPS over his first two pro seasons. He’s known as a solid defender and has some speed, but it appears that the Diamondbacks were mostly motivated to save some cash here.

1. hcf95688 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Hopefully, Drew provides a solid bridge from the Cliff Pennington era to the Russell Addison era.

• geoknows - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Addison Russell is 18 years old. You think he’s going to be ready next year when Drew is gone?

2. hittfamily - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM

To be fair…..
    What is fair about only showing his last 40 games. If you want “to be fair”, they acquired a top 5 SS for nothing. There. I finished it for you.

• delchef9 - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I thought they aquired Stephen Drew?? My bad….Glad to here they got a top 5 SS instead thats great for them!!

• baseballisboring - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:44 AM

…top 5? Based on what!?

• spol85 - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:51 AM

In no particular order:
        Jose Reyes
        Troy Tulowitzki
        Derek Jeter
        Starlin Castro
        Ian Desmond

Which of these guys is Stephen Drew even remotely close to? I know there are plenty of others out there that I didnt mention. I doubt Drew would make the top 20 let alone the top 5.

• rooney24 - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Not trying to sarcastic, but legitimately asking here – but, am I the only one that gets annoyed when people post “There, I finished it for you” or “I fixed it for you” on the end of their posts? To me, it sounds incredibly pompous. But, maybe I am in the minority. Honestly, let me know with thumbs up if that annoys you also, or thumbs down if I should just accept that as standard protocol.

• biasedhomer - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Drew is not even a top 10 SS.

3. dbldmr - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Yeah, let’s throw Elvis Andrus in there also.

• paperlions - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM

And Starlin Castro, and Asdrubal….and probably a bunch of other guys. At this point, he’s probably an average SS if (big if) the ankle is healthy.

• Alex K - Aug 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Hanley is playing SS again, too. And he’s hitting in the tiny amount of PA that’s he’s been with the Dodgers. I think he’s better than Drew.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM

No doubt…ANY top five list has to include Asdrubal.
        Hell…right now (as a biased Cardinals fan) I would choose Rafael Furcal over Stephen Drew.

4. spol85 - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Every top 5 shortstop is given away for a minor leaguer batting in the .230s. Arizona is still in contention for a wildcard birth and they gave up on Drew. Hell, he has had trouble holding off Willie Bloomquist for the starting SS spot. Does that make Bloomquist a top 5 guy also?

5. jonirocit - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Not top 5 but he will be a decent player and darn near risk free so great move.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4887)