Aug 21, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
Baseball America’s Ben Badler has a must-read breakdown on the whole Jairo Beras saga. Beras, as you may remember, changed his date of birth before signing a $4.5 million deal with the Rangers in February. MLB initially declined to approve the contract, but did so in July, a move that left several other teams unhappy.
Badler notes that neither the Rangers nor Beras received any real punishment over the affair. Beras technically was suspended for a year, but it’ll hardly have any effect on him:
Beras will be allowed to work out at the Rangers’ Dominican academy and play in an unofficial league for July 2 signings over the summer. Then he will go to Arizona for instructional league, participate in the team’s Dominican winter program and go back to Arizona for spring training. He can play in spring training games and extended spring training games.
What Beras won’t be able to do is play in official games during the first half of next season, but he wasn’t going to do that anyway; as a (perhaps) soon-to-be 18-year-old, he was always destined to play in the short-season leagues that begin at the end of June.
Badler also has quotes from MLB’s Rob Manfred, defending the league’s eventual decision to approve the contract, and from executives displeased with the way the whole thing came down. It’s a well researched piece on a pretty convoluted situation.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)