Aug 21, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
Baseball America’s Ben Badler has a must-read breakdown on the whole Jairo Beras saga. Beras, as you may remember, changed his date of birth before signing a $4.5 million deal with the Rangers in February. MLB initially declined to approve the contract, but did so in July, a move that left several other teams unhappy.
Badler notes that neither the Rangers nor Beras received any real punishment over the affair. Beras technically was suspended for a year, but it’ll hardly have any effect on him:
Beras will be allowed to work out at the Rangers’ Dominican academy and play in an unofficial league for July 2 signings over the summer. Then he will go to Arizona for instructional league, participate in the team’s Dominican winter program and go back to Arizona for spring training. He can play in spring training games and extended spring training games.
What Beras won’t be able to do is play in official games during the first half of next season, but he wasn’t going to do that anyway; as a (perhaps) soon-to-be 18-year-old, he was always destined to play in the short-season leagues that begin at the end of June.
Badler also has quotes from MLB’s Rob Manfred, defending the league’s eventual decision to approve the contract, and from executives displeased with the way the whole thing came down. It’s a well researched piece on a pretty convoluted situation.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 1
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful