Aug 21, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
Baseball America’s Ben Badler has a must-read breakdown on the whole Jairo Beras saga. Beras, as you may remember, changed his date of birth before signing a $4.5 million deal with the Rangers in February. MLB initially declined to approve the contract, but did so in July, a move that left several other teams unhappy.
Badler notes that neither the Rangers nor Beras received any real punishment over the affair. Beras technically was suspended for a year, but it’ll hardly have any effect on him:
Beras will be allowed to work out at the Rangers’ Dominican academy and play in an unofficial league for July 2 signings over the summer. Then he will go to Arizona for instructional league, participate in the team’s Dominican winter program and go back to Arizona for spring training. He can play in spring training games and extended spring training games.
What Beras won’t be able to do is play in official games during the first half of next season, but he wasn’t going to do that anyway; as a (perhaps) soon-to-be 18-year-old, he was always destined to play in the short-season leagues that begin at the end of June.
Badler also has quotes from MLB’s Rob Manfred, defending the league’s eventual decision to approve the contract, and from executives displeased with the way the whole thing came down. It’s a well researched piece on a pretty convoluted situation.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)