Be careful how excited you get about Bryce Harper’s long balls

Aug 21, 2012, 4:30 PM EST

bryce harper getty Getty Images

I’m an admitted Bryce Harper fanboy and, even though the Nats winning is bad for my team, I cheered like crazy when he hit a homer on Friday night.

But it’s a good thing I didn’t get too excited. That can get you kicked out of Nats Park. From DCist:

A friend of DCist tweeted yesterday that a fan was thrown out of the game against the Atlanta Braves for holding up a sign that said, “I’m in love with Harper’s long balls.” Clever? Sure. Appropriate? Well, that’s debatable. Enough to get someone booted? Yep.

The team claims the right to police the signs. And that includes ones containing vulgarities, either real or imagined.

Not that you need an overly-active imagination in this particular instance.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Couldn’t they have just confiscated the sign and be done with it?

• mattyflex - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I think a “please don’t take my sign” sign is in order.

• Bryz - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM

As I work for the Twins as an usher, yeah, I’d think that taking it away would have sufficed.

If the fan was belligerent and/or yelling obscenities related to the poster, then sure, kick ‘em out.

2. El Bravo - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

This is a clown move on the park’s part, bro.

3. skerney - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Park Security displaying too much Natitude.

4. CrimsonTribe - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I wasn’t aware that Danny Snyder had jurisdiction over Nats Park as well.

• marvinband9 - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Now that is funny

• marvinband9 - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Now that is funny, danny snyder, no caps doesn’t deserve them

• Glenn - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Snyder would be more offended by a “small ball” sign.

• voteforno6 - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Not cool. Part of the appeal of the Nats is that they aren’t owned by Snyder.

• danaking - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Between Snyder and the Lerners, dissing DC teams could get to be a full time job.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I find it basically impossible to cheer for any team or player when my own team is in a pennant race with them.

6. atworkident - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Ehh… I wouldn’t want my daughter reading it/ repeating it…

I’ll side with the establishment on this one. Man I am getting old.

• Glenn - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I would agree, but if they are old enough to get it, then is it really too offensive? I wrestle with this with my young teen daughters.

• Ben - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I’m struggling to see how testicle double entendres are offensive in the first place.

7. dutchman45 - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Todd Frazier of the REDS is a far better player with better stats with less at bats. He will be rookie of year.

Harper could be better in the long run. Time will tell.

• El Bravo - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

is Frazier eligible?

• paperlions - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Time will tell? Frazier didn’t start his professional career until he was 21. Harper is in the majors at 19. I am willing to be that Harper is far better than Frazier next year.

• El Bravo - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I must say, from what I’ve seen so far, is that Frazier sure knows how of f@ck up the Cubs….but then again…who doesn’t?

8. willclarkgameface - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM

People are so fucking sensitive. It’s tiring. Just take the sign if it’s too offensive for you and let the person go back to their seat. Done and done.

This was damn foolish and yet another reason to watch games from home.

9. beefytrout - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Wasn’t there an MLB marketing effort a few years back… “Chicks dig the long ball” ? And couldn’t they have just said “Stop displaying the sign” ? or “We’re taking the sign” ?

• Bryz - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Hell, I’ve got a t-shirt that says “Chicks dig the long ball.”

*checks closet*

It’s an effing Nike t-shirt. Wow.

• El Bravo - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM

It was a Nike campaign indeed.

• El Bravo - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM

hahhahha, you must be old and unwilling to admit it (like me)….that “chicks did the long ball” campaign occurred in the 90s broseph….i mean that is a bit more than a few years….see link:

• beefytrout - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Sorry, I didn’t remember when it was. And if 34 is old, then yes, I’m unwilling to admit it.

• El Bravo - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

As a Braves fan who remembers the commercials well, I’m still surprised it was that long ago…but it was…anyway, just keep lying to yourself, it actually works.

• beefytrout - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I remember another slogan, from the ’80s… “Just say no.” Lay off the smack, dude. It’s affecting your judgement. This is a safe place, we all love you.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I still love that ad. Thanks for posting.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

that is seriously my favorite commercial of all time. never gets old.

10. paul621 - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Why does everyone assume he got tossed for the sign? What if they took the sign and he acted like an ass and got tossed for that? Not enough info here to assume the sign alone was cause for ejection.

• geoknows - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Exactly. Could be like the guy who got tossed from a Rangers game because he was displaying the Texas flag. Just to say he got tossed for the Texas flag sounds bad, but he had it in a distracting spot for the players, then refused to move it.

• addisonandsheffield - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:37 PM

And that dude in Arlington was flashing a flashlight on and off at home plate from behind the flag. And they asked him to stop and he did for a sec and then got back up again and started when they walked away.

11. spudatx - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

That’s a clown sign, bro.

12. elgorditodehumboldt - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

“I’m an admitted Bryce Harper fanboy” – so Craig you’re a big fan of an over-hyped rookie hitting .250 with 12 home runs and 37 RBI’s. You were probably a big Gregg Jefferies fan in the last 80’s/early 90’s too, right?

• cosanostra71 - Aug 21, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Remember last year when Mike Trout was hitting .220 with 5 HR and 16 RBI

13. CJ - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

somehow I think you oculd’ve come up with a headline that’s less, um, that’s what she said-ish

14. chrisdtx - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM

This reminds me of that one Curb Your Enthusiasm episode. Damn, Larry. You got some long-ass balls.

15. danfrommv - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Under the Patriot Act, they can water board you in addition to taking the sign and booting you out of the park.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5145)
  2. M. Kemp (3558)
  3. J. Upton (2840)
  4. J. Kang (2828)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2729)
  1. C. McGehee (2725)