Aug 21, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT
Toronto third baseman Brett Lawrie went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts Sunday in a rehab game at the Blue Jays’ High-A affiliate in Dunedin, Florida. And he came away with more than just a bruised ego.
According to John Lott of Canada’s National Post, Lawrie felt renewed ribcage soreness when he woke up Monday morning and had not made any improvement by Tuesday, so he’s been pulled off his rehab assignment and shut down indefinitely.
Lawrie has been sidelined since early August because of a strained left oblique. Given that the injury is still bugging him, he can probably be ruled out until close to mid-September.
The 22-year-old third baseman was batting .282/.326/.416 with nine homers and 40 RBI through 100 games played this season for the Jays, who enter play Tuesday night ranking last in the American League East.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)