Aug 21, 2012, 7:39 PM EST
Toronto third baseman Brett Lawrie went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts Sunday in a rehab game at the Blue Jays’ High-A affiliate in Dunedin, Florida. And he came away with more than just a bruised ego.
According to John Lott of Canada’s National Post, Lawrie felt renewed ribcage soreness when he woke up Monday morning and had not made any improvement by Tuesday, so he’s been pulled off his rehab assignment and shut down indefinitely.
Lawrie has been sidelined since early August because of a strained left oblique. Given that the injury is still bugging him, he can probably be ruled out until close to mid-September.
The 22-year-old third baseman was batting .282/.326/.416 with nine homers and 40 RBI through 100 games played this season for the Jays, who enter play Tuesday night ranking last in the American League East.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)