Aug 21, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Derek Jeter went 4-for-5 with a homer last night, passing Hall of Famer Nap Lajoie and moving into a tie with Hall of Famer Eddie Murray for 12th place on the all-time hits list with 3,255.
Next up on the list is Willie Mays with 3,283 hits, so Jeter is likely just a couple weeks from passing Mays and moving into 11th place.
And there’s an outside chance he could also move past Eddie Collins, who ranks 10th with 3,315 hits. Jeter has averaged 1.4 hits per game so far this season and the Yankees have 40 games left, so if Jeter plays every game and maintains that exact pace he’d add another 56 hits to give him 3,311.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)