Aug 21, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Carl Pavano‘s months-long attempt to come back from a strained shoulder has come to an end after a specialist diagnosed the Twins right-hander with a bruise on his humerus bone.
In talking to John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press the 36-year-old seemed to express frustration that the Twins’ medical staff–which has come under an awful lot of fire for numerous issues since last season–didn’t properly diagnose him three months ago:
It’s too bad it took three months diagnose that. I could have been resting. The good news is, it doesn’t require surgery. I’ve had this in the past and gotten through it, and obviously I’ve pitched a lot since then. But as far as I’m concerned, this whole season has been a failure on many levels, for myself, for the team. It’s just kind of lousy that it took this long.
Pavano went on to say: “It’s no one’s fault. I’ll take the blame, but I don’t understand why.”
He also left open the possibility of re-signing with Minnesota as a free agent this offseason, but that seems unlikely even with the Twins in the market for plenty of rotation help.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)