Aug 21, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Carl Pavano‘s months-long attempt to come back from a strained shoulder has come to an end after a specialist diagnosed the Twins right-hander with a bruise on his humerus bone.
In talking to John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press the 36-year-old seemed to express frustration that the Twins’ medical staff–which has come under an awful lot of fire for numerous issues since last season–didn’t properly diagnose him three months ago:
It’s too bad it took three months diagnose that. I could have been resting. The good news is, it doesn’t require surgery. I’ve had this in the past and gotten through it, and obviously I’ve pitched a lot since then. But as far as I’m concerned, this whole season has been a failure on many levels, for myself, for the team. It’s just kind of lousy that it took this long.
Pavano went on to say: “It’s no one’s fault. I’ll take the blame, but I don’t understand why.”
He also left open the possibility of re-signing with Minnesota as a free agent this offseason, but that seems unlikely even with the Twins in the market for plenty of rotation help.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)