Aug 21, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Carl Pavano‘s months-long attempt to come back from a strained shoulder has come to an end after a specialist diagnosed the Twins right-hander with a bruise on his humerus bone.
In talking to John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press the 36-year-old seemed to express frustration that the Twins’ medical staff–which has come under an awful lot of fire for numerous issues since last season–didn’t properly diagnose him three months ago:
It’s too bad it took three months diagnose that. I could have been resting. The good news is, it doesn’t require surgery. I’ve had this in the past and gotten through it, and obviously I’ve pitched a lot since then. But as far as I’m concerned, this whole season has been a failure on many levels, for myself, for the team. It’s just kind of lousy that it took this long.
Pavano went on to say: “It’s no one’s fault. I’ll take the blame, but I don’t understand why.”
He also left open the possibility of re-signing with Minnesota as a free agent this offseason, but that seems unlikely even with the Twins in the market for plenty of rotation help.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)