Aug 21, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Carl Pavano‘s months-long attempt to come back from a strained shoulder has come to an end after a specialist diagnosed the Twins right-hander with a bruise on his humerus bone.
In talking to John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press the 36-year-old seemed to express frustration that the Twins’ medical staff–which has come under an awful lot of fire for numerous issues since last season–didn’t properly diagnose him three months ago:
It’s too bad it took three months diagnose that. I could have been resting. The good news is, it doesn’t require surgery. I’ve had this in the past and gotten through it, and obviously I’ve pitched a lot since then. But as far as I’m concerned, this whole season has been a failure on many levels, for myself, for the team. It’s just kind of lousy that it took this long.
Pavano went on to say: “It’s no one’s fault. I’ll take the blame, but I don’t understand why.”
He also left open the possibility of re-signing with Minnesota as a free agent this offseason, but that seems unlikely even with the Twins in the market for plenty of rotation help.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 14
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 71
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)