Frustrated Carl Pavano shut down after new diagnosis

Aug 21, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT

Carl Pavano AP

Carl Pavano‘s months-long attempt to come back from a strained shoulder has come to an end after a specialist diagnosed the Twins right-hander with a bruise on his humerus bone.

In talking to John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press the 36-year-old seemed to express frustration that the Twins’ medical staff–which has come under an awful lot of fire for numerous issues since last season–didn’t properly diagnose him three months ago:

It’s too bad it took three months diagnose that. I could have been resting. The good news is, it doesn’t require surgery. I’ve had this in the past and gotten through it, and obviously I’ve pitched a lot since then. But as far as I’m concerned, this whole season has been a failure on many levels, for myself, for the team. It’s just kind of lousy that it took this long.

Pavano went on to say: “It’s no one’s fault. I’ll take the blame, but I don’t understand why.”

He also left open the possibility of re-signing with Minnesota as a free agent this offseason, but that seems unlikely even with the Twins in the market for plenty of rotation help.

1. deebs1976 - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The Twins could replace their medical staff with a team of Magic 8 Balls, save some money and probably get better results.

• kopy - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

They’re already employing Dr. Nick Riviera. I don’t know how you can get any cheaper.

• Mr. Furious - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I wonder how much Dr. Leo Spaceman would charge as a consultant.

• chunkified - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM

In their defense they have cured several cases (Mauer and Morneau included) of long balls.

2. bigjimatch - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

An injury to the humerus bone? that doesn’t sound very funny at all.

3. fredverd - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Once again, the return of the “American Idle”…

4. shanabartels - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Carl Pavano is injured? What else is new… I diagnosed him with Munchausen syndrome years ago.

Three legends off to Cooperstown