Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Tomlin has been on the disabled list since early last week with elbow discomfort. He paid a visit to joint specialist Dr. Lewis Yocum on Tuesday afternoon and the procedure was quickly recommended.
Tomlin, 27, posted a 6.36 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in 103 1/3 innings this season for Cleveland, serving both as a starter and reliever. He has a 4.95 career ERA and a 1.22 career WHIP.
Tommy John surgery comes with a recovery time of 12-15 months, so Tomlin will struggle to return in 2013.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 13
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 37
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)