Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 PM EST
Tomlin has been on the disabled list since early last week with elbow discomfort. He paid a visit to joint specialist Dr. Lewis Yocum on Tuesday afternoon and the procedure was quickly recommended.
Tomlin, 27, posted a 6.36 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in 103 1/3 innings this season for Cleveland, serving both as a starter and reliever. He has a 4.95 career ERA and a 1.22 career WHIP.
Tommy John surgery comes with a recovery time of 12-15 months, so Tomlin will struggle to return in 2013.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)