Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Tomlin has been on the disabled list since early last week with elbow discomfort. He paid a visit to joint specialist Dr. Lewis Yocum on Tuesday afternoon and the procedure was quickly recommended.
Tomlin, 27, posted a 6.36 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in 103 1/3 innings this season for Cleveland, serving both as a starter and reliever. He has a 4.95 career ERA and a 1.22 career WHIP.
Tommy John surgery comes with a recovery time of 12-15 months, so Tomlin will struggle to return in 2013.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)