Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 PM EST
Tomlin has been on the disabled list since early last week with elbow discomfort. He paid a visit to joint specialist Dr. Lewis Yocum on Tuesday afternoon and the procedure was quickly recommended.
Tomlin, 27, posted a 6.36 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in 103 1/3 innings this season for Cleveland, serving both as a starter and reliever. He has a 4.95 career ERA and a 1.22 career WHIP.
Tommy John surgery comes with a recovery time of 12-15 months, so Tomlin will struggle to return in 2013.
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 62
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 39
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 39
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)