Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 PM EST
Tomlin has been on the disabled list since early last week with elbow discomfort. He paid a visit to joint specialist Dr. Lewis Yocum on Tuesday afternoon and the procedure was quickly recommended.
Tomlin, 27, posted a 6.36 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in 103 1/3 innings this season for Cleveland, serving both as a starter and reliever. He has a 4.95 career ERA and a 1.22 career WHIP.
Tommy John surgery comes with a recovery time of 12-15 months, so Tomlin will struggle to return in 2013.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)