Aug 21, 2012, 8:22 AM EDT
It’s no shame to go hitless against Madison Bumgarner on a night like he had last night. And slumps certainly happen. But Matt Kemp is in a pronounced slump right now, and with the Dodgers sliding out of first place after last night’s loss to San Francisco, they need him to figure it out.
Kemp is 0 for his last 19 and his OPS has dipped below 1.000 for the first time since the fifth game of the season. Last night he struck out with a runner on third in the sixth inning — Shane Victorino got there by stealing both second and third — to end what amounted to the Dodgers best scoring threat. Kemp was clearly frustrated at the strikeout, feigning throwing his bat and then starting to break it over his knee but thinking better of it.
Kemp is obviously still having a great year — he’s hitting .333/.402/.596 — but the Dodgers are going to need him to heat back up if they want to keep pace with the Giants.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)