Aug 21, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Awful news from a press release from the players’ union today:
The Major League Baseball Players Association today announced that Executive Director Michael Weiner began treatment for a brain tumor on Monday, August 20. Michael’s treatments are expected to last about one month, and it is anticipated that he will continue to work out of the Union’s New York office on a daily basis during this time.
Michael would like to thank in advance all those who join the Union staff and player membership in wishing him well as he undergoes his treatment, and he looks forward to making a full recovery.
Best wishes to a good man for a full recovery.
UPDATE: Bud Selig has issued a statement:
“On behalf of Major League Baseball and the 30 Major League Clubs, I send my best wishes to Michael Weiner and his family. I have great respect and admiration for Michael, with whom we have had a very constructive relationship both professionally and personally. This relationship has been a great benefit to Baseball and has led to the tremendous success the game now enjoys. All of us look forward to Michael’s full recovery and to his continued contributions to our game.”
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)