Aug 21, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Awful news from a press release from the players’ union today:
The Major League Baseball Players Association today announced that Executive Director Michael Weiner began treatment for a brain tumor on Monday, August 20. Michael’s treatments are expected to last about one month, and it is anticipated that he will continue to work out of the Union’s New York office on a daily basis during this time.
Michael would like to thank in advance all those who join the Union staff and player membership in wishing him well as he undergoes his treatment, and he looks forward to making a full recovery.
Best wishes to a good man for a full recovery.
UPDATE: Bud Selig has issued a statement:
“On behalf of Major League Baseball and the 30 Major League Clubs, I send my best wishes to Michael Weiner and his family. I have great respect and admiration for Michael, with whom we have had a very constructive relationship both professionally and personally. This relationship has been a great benefit to Baseball and has led to the tremendous success the game now enjoys. All of us look forward to Michael’s full recovery and to his continued contributions to our game.”
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)