Aug 21, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Awful news from a press release from the players’ union today:
The Major League Baseball Players Association today announced that Executive Director Michael Weiner began treatment for a brain tumor on Monday, August 20. Michael’s treatments are expected to last about one month, and it is anticipated that he will continue to work out of the Union’s New York office on a daily basis during this time.
Michael would like to thank in advance all those who join the Union staff and player membership in wishing him well as he undergoes his treatment, and he looks forward to making a full recovery.
Best wishes to a good man for a full recovery.
UPDATE: Bud Selig has issued a statement:
“On behalf of Major League Baseball and the 30 Major League Clubs, I send my best wishes to Michael Weiner and his family. I have great respect and admiration for Michael, with whom we have had a very constructive relationship both professionally and personally. This relationship has been a great benefit to Baseball and has led to the tremendous success the game now enjoys. All of us look forward to Michael’s full recovery and to his continued contributions to our game.”
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)