Nick Swisher is going to seek a “Jayson Werth” deal? Good luck with that.

Aug 21, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT

Nick Swisher Getty Getty Images

Jon Heyman hears whispers about the free agency future of Nick Swisher:

Word going around is, Nick Swisher, the Yankees’ eternally upbeat rightfield power supply, may seek a “Jayson Werth contract” when he hits free agency at the end of the year.

To baseball fans, that is well-known to mean $126 million over seven years. In other words, it’s a lot more money than most folks have guessed so far for Swish.

I’d be quite curious to see who would give him that kind of deal. Scanning the horizon, I see approximately zero teams who think the Werth deal was a good one. Swisher, like Werth before he signed with the Nats after the 2010 season, turns 32 soon. But he never had a year as good as Werth’s walk year in 2010 and  he doesn’t have Werth’s defensive value.

Heyman looks over the numbers and notes, correctly, the similarity between the two players. He even asks some execs about it.  But the numbers seem to tell us way less here, mostly because Jayson Werth is widely seen to have been massively overpaid by the Nationals.

So good luck, Swish. But I see, at best, a $40-50 million deal in your future.

1. redguy12588 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM

This is why the Nationals kind of make me angry. I’d love for the Pirates to land a guy like Swisher for a few years, but they could never afford him.

2. jolink653 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Yeaa the Nationals really messed up giving Werth that contract because now that’s what every free agent outfielder is aiming for…That and the Crawford deal have turned out to be pretty awful

• thefalcon123 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Neither of them did much to deserve their contracts in the first place. Crawford was a speedy corner outfielder with a league average OPS and good defense. Werth was a 32-year-old with exactly two season with more than 500 at bats to his name. They were both good players, but why on earth would any GM give them a $100 million contract?!?

• biasedhomer - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Werth was the only big name the nationals could attract, and they had to over pay to get him. They were one of the worst teams in baseball for many years.

Crawford was a 28 year old, top 5 left fielder who did not seem injury prone, great defensively, had some pop, projected to get 50+ SBs, all the tools to be one of the best lead off men in the game.

3. thefalcon123 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Never underestimate the ability of GMs to make stupid decision in the free agent market. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he got the money.

• missthemexpos - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Never underestimate the ability of super agent Scott Borass to convince GMs that the client he is representing is the next coming of Mickey Mantle. Thus the GM would be wise to lock up this player for many years to come at tens of millions of dollars.

• hep3 - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Maybe Swish will want to go to Miami to be reunited with Ozzie? Yeah, not so much.

4. mybrunoblog - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Swisher will get that 3 or 4 year deal he wants. Swisher however has been so bad in crucial post season games it will be interesting to see if teams hold that against him. I doubt Swisher will be a Yankee in 2013.

• number42is1 - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM

you said Swisher three times in that comment.

5. motherscratcher23 - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Don’t be afraid to climb those golden stairs, Nick.

• motherscratcher23 - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Anyone giving thumbs down to that comment is unfamiliar with Ball Four and Johnny Sain and therefore a bad baseball fan and should feel bad.

6. deathmonkey41 - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I like Swisher, but even Jason Werth shouldn’t have gotten a Jason Werth-type deal. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Yankees try to retain him, but with them trying to get below the cap, I really don’t see it.

BTW- Bobby Bonilla looks at the Jason Werth deal and laughs. Seven years…that’s merely child’s play.

7. daveeproc - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Everyone knows Werth was overpaid, but that was the point. The Nationals intentionally overpaid him in order to shake the reputation of being cheap and in order to convince future free agents that they are willing to pay. It was at the point where it seemed like nobody would even consider the Nationals.

8. El Bravo - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Whaddafriggindouchenozzle

9. elgorditodehumboldt - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Anyone know the home-road splits for Swisher the last couple of years? I’m curious how much that bandbox known as the new Yankee Stadium has helped his stats.

• rich7041 - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Not so much this season:
      Don’t know about other years.

• elgorditodehumboldt - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Very interesting. I presumed otherwise.

10. mattyflex - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Genius. Start high, meet in the middle. What did you want his agent to do?

“We’re seeking a Jeff Francoeur type deal.”

11. Andee - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Swisher is beloved in Yankee Stadium, but he might have just priced himself out of the Bronx. Unless another team hopes to add a name like Swisher and has no other choice than to pay up, he’ll probably take what he can get from the Yankees. No reason he can’t start by asking for the moon though, perhaps he can parlay it into a slightly higher pay day than he would have gotten.

• vallewho - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

He will either settle for a “lesser” deal in NY, or end up back on the West coast.

• bmorelikeme - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

If one has priced himself out of the Bronx, where is there left to go?

12. randygnyc - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I read this post 2 hours ago. It took this long for me to stop laughing. $127 million for swisher? Lmao. That’s what Cano will cost. And we’ll have to sign granderson, too. Nick better take his 4-40m deal from whomever offers it. Pretty sure it won’t be the Yankees (and I love the guy). Batting 1000 with 5 homers, 10 RBI in a world series won’t save him either. (look no farther than Matsui)

13. mickmars - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

That’s it Nick, you dream big buddy!!!

14. vallewho - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

sports fiction writers

15. stackers1 - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Nobody will give Swish those $$$, but I hope he comes down enough to re-sign with the Yankees. The only one I’ve heard of who doesn’t like the guy is Ozzie Guillen & that’s a plus as far as I’m concerned.

16. APBA Guy - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I saw on MLB trade rumors that Swish’s agent, Dan Lozano, is comparing Swish favorably to Josh Hamilton, saying Swish’s WAR from 2005 is in the same vicinity as Hamilton’s. Since Josh didn’t play in 2005 and 2006, another way of looking at it is that Swish is 72% of Josh. At best.

But a young man can dream. I for one dream of the day both Jessica Alba and Megan Fox come to me with word that the Federal Reserve has given me one of those lifetime no-interest multi-million dollar loans they handed out to Wall Street types in 2008.

I suppose Swish’s dream has a marginally better chance of coming true than mine. But mine has more visual appeal, and the movie rights should be worth a lot more.

17. baseballisboring - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Real good player. Nottttttttttt even close to worth that. I understand wanting to start high in negotiations, but let’s be real…

18. pisano - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Good luck Nick with the next club you sign with, because with those thoughts you’re history in pinstripes. “Ciao, Ciao, Bambino”

19. cackalackyank - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Well if the idea of this was to get people talking about him it worked….but not in a positive way. He had a great week and at least one really good year since coming to NY…but he is not even on the top ten list OF in the AL (imo). If the Yankees really are gonna stay under the cap… (and I’ll believe that when I see it)… they can’t even consider signing him to a deal anything like that. Cano is certainly the priority here….but I’ll be honest Granderson and his butt load of strikeouts and .245 average might be a more involved thought process. One thing that may help Swish is that ability to fill in at 1B, since it seems Teixera is going to become brittle real quick. I could almost see a scenario that has Swisher still in NY and NOT Granderson….but only if he is willing to sign for 10-12 mil per.

20. jfk69 - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:23 PM

It is all part of the negotiation process. I asked my boss for one million per year. He countered with your fired. I brought in my agent who was receive 10% of any gains over my previous wages.
    Well….My new shine box is lovely and i am now being sued by above agent for misrepresenting myself. Yes Boss…I will be there in a sec

Three legends off to Cooperstown