Not gonna say that there was bad blood between Bobby Valentine and Bob McClure, but …

Aug 21, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT

Bob McClure Getty Images

I figure people in Boston followed this more closely than the rest of us, but this passage from Sean McAdam’s story about the Red Sox firing Bob McClure says an awful lot:

McClure was granted a leave of absence from the team earlier in the season to attend to a sick infant who was seriously ill and Niemann served as interim pitching coach in McClure’s absence. After McClure returned, Valentine later made mention of McClure’s “two-week vacation” before correcting himself.

Gordon Edes, talking about the same verbal slip, firmly believes that it was no accident on Valentine’s part.

The Red Sox’ pitching stinks, so it probably made no difference, but when you are so far from being on the same page as your manager that he’s jabbing you over a leave of absence to attend to your sick child, you really never had any job security at all.

1. geoknows - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Bobby Valentine is an ass.

• fredverd - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I am a Yankee fan, but even the Sawx have more class than Bobby V is parading for the media. So I wonder, when is Valentine’s (LAST) Day?

• Kevin Gillman - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM

The day after the season.

• CJ - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the 4 thumbs down on geo’s comment were from 3 donkeys offended by being equated with Bobby Valentine, and, well, Bobby Valentine.

• cuse6468 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Add “hole” to this comment

• 18thstreet - Aug 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Seriously, people. Anyone who still says that the Red Sox players are out of line for complaining about playing for this jerk … what say you? Please, whoever gives a thumbs up to “… is an ass” and a thumbs-down to me “it’s not crazy to complain about playing for an ass,” please explain yourselves.

Everyone who said the inmates are running the asylum: Go. Explain why Pedroia is a whiny bitch to hate this f’ing guy.

• sabatimus - Aug 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM

18thstreet, I think it may have to do with the idea of going above your superior to complain to someone higher up. For some reason, some people find this whiny and asinine. I don’t. And I’m sure the Sox have all the time in the world to complain directly to Valentine, for obvious reasons. So it seems clear that the players couldn’t get through to him. True, the players aren’t performing, but if your manager is a dick, that could easily result in a TERRIBLE atmosphere to play in.

• gogigantos - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

he always has been. Why now is anybody surprised to find out that he only cares what people perceive him to be in the moment. He has poor ‘people’ skills and no long term vision of how he is perceived. The dude has always been a grade A ass, the Sox deserve him.

2. Joe - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM

As a Sox fan, I have no problems with Bobby Valentine’s game management. But he does passive-aggressive s–t like this all the time, and there is no way he’s fostering a healthy environment in that clubhouse. These guys were bad enough without Valentine lighting off firecrackers all the time. I hope they can him this winter.

• zachcomtois - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Curse these fat thumbs and this small screen. I didn’t mean to give your comment a thumbs down. To your point, the Boston media doesn’t need any excuse to go bananas about something trivial. I really wish Valentine would stop giving them trivial things to go bananas about. I’m so tired of hearing his passive aggressive comments in post game meetings. Plus, he clearly doesn’t respect his employees. I guess I’m not surprised that his players don’t respect him.

For the record, I think the players are acting like babies too. *sigh* I miss 2004.

• drewsylvania - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You misspelled “minute”.

• IdahoMariner - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM

It took me a second to get what you meant by this, but now that I do, I wish I could give it ten thumbs up.

I had a boss who repeatedly referred to my co- worker’s maternity leave as a vacation…until she had to subtly let him know that might be seen as creating a hostile work environment and might be in violation of federal laws regarding family medical leave. And, the rest of us told him he was being an ass, so that helped.

Someone should kick bobby v in the nards, then ask I’m if he enjoyed that little vacation.

• IdahoMariner - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:05 PM

“ask him” not “ask I’m”
        Stupid autocorrect and curse my proof reading

3. proudlycanadian - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM

There is a similar story from Peter Abraham. It appears that there was a communication problem between Valentine and all the coaches that he did not hire. McClure was hired by Cherrington rather than Valentine.

• bosoxfan1950 - Aug 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

What was up with that, anyway? I understand that it (Valentine not being allowed to choose his own coaches) happened. But no one has ever offered an explanation as to why it happened. In my 6 decades plus of following MLB I’ve never heard of that before. Talk about a formula for disaster!

• gloccamorra - Aug 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

It’s not unusual at all that some coaches are lifers for their clubs and are not chosen by the manager. Some of them, like Dodgers pitching coaches, stress an organizational philosophy that has run from rookie ball to the majors for decades, independent of the manager. Others, like bench coaches, are managers’ choices, so they’ll have someone they like to drink beer with after the game.

• gogigantos - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

gloccamorra, the organizational philosophy is something I wish my team would adopt and take the time to implement. The famed Dodger Way or Oriole Way seems to have faded. I would like to see it back in my favorite organization.

4. dan1111 - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I hope Valentine gets fired immediately and never manages another game for the Red–oops, err, what I meant to say is that he is a real class act.

• number42is1 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM

DYAC!

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I agree. Bobby Valentine is definitely a real ass crack….ahem….class act.

5. klbader - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I am not a violent person, but if my boss commented about my “two week vacation” after I just got back from spending two weeks caring for my sick child, I’d probably go upside his head with an office chair.

I think the players going and complaining to ownership is disruptive and childish. I think taking a jab like this at one of your fellow coaches is just completely classless.

• mattyflex - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I would do the same, but a point perhaps worth raising is that the article states “a sick infant”, and not “McClure’s child”.

I dont think it matters whose infant this belonged to, it’s obviously not a vacation, and the remark was absolutely snide and deserves a good head-chairing… But I’d like to know… http://www.myteespot.com/images/Images_d/img_7a5Pl6.jpg

• badintent - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I have a much better activity for you than throwing chairs. Boycut Boston Pizza , Boston Market and Boston Beans !! Bad crust, cheap topings and processed cheese. Spend $$ at NY Fries instead.

6. Alex K - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Hey, Bravo….Is Bobby V. on the nozzle list yet? This 1000% qualifies him, if not.

• CJ - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I hereby propose the 2012 Douchenozzle List be renamed (just for this year, mind you) the Bobbynozzle List, or something similar yet slightly more clever. His actions have been too egregious and too many to just be anominee, the whole thing should be named after him.

• sabatimus - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Valentozzle?

7. clevelandschronic2 - Aug 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Red sox suck. Valentine is exactly what your lazy overpaid team needs. A MANager who isnt affraid of the highest paid players. But hey i guess you boston fans love kissing your players asses too much. Isnt that what led you to that horrible collapse late last year. But i guess once an ass kisser always an ass kisser. Boston and its fans suck

• pauleee - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Oh, Browns fan, right?

• drewsylvania - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM

And Indians fan, too.

• jaguar49 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM

And a complete ass as well.

• dan1111 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Your second and third sentences may well describe the ownership philosophy that led to Valentine’s hiring. How has that worked out so far? As for the rest of your sentences, let’s just pretend they didn’t happen.

• bryg84 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM

As a Cleveland fan myself, you have NO room to talk. The Indians are festering in mediocrity with an ownership group that cares more about the bottom line than winning and a manager who has no idea how to inspire his team. They have lost focus and at the rate they are losing games could finish with one of the worst records in baseball.

We would be lucky to have an ownership that spends money and properly develops players. I will not defend Bobby Valentine but there is no reson to attack the Boston fan base as a whole.

• sabatimus - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM

You probably think Chris Perez acted beautifully with that A’s fan, right?

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:21 PM

He might have had too much of the chronic.

• badintent - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaa ! Waaaaaaaaaaa! Boston is drowning in tears, teeth nashing, hand wringing and the night of the long knifes are coming soon. Johnny Boy will clean house and blame everyone but himself. Can’t say this season ‘s clown show is all Bobby V’s fault. It’s MORE like the players’ fault. But heck, us Yankee fans saw all this with Billy Martin and we maned up and came through it with 5 WSs. Just ask Jeter. He just passed Eddie Murphy on the all time hits lists.But one thing is sure, all the players except Dustin will be on “Desperate Hoes of Boston “TV show.Lets donate Boston to North Korea . They’ll surrender in 3 days .Double Sucker MC

8. randygnyc - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM

The red sox dysfunction led to the owners disagreeing on hiring Ben Cherrington. Then, against Cherrington’s wishes, Valentine was hired, thus emasculating Cherrington. Then, the coaches were hired against the wishes of Valentine, thus emasculating Valentine. All positions of power undermined by ownership. This outcome HAD to happen. I wrote about this on the day of Velentines initial press conference. Cherrington looked like he got kicked in the balls and Bobby looked like he was walking on egg shells. Well played Boston!!!!

• jaguar49 - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM

This is a tough year to be a Red Sox fan. I have never seen such complete dysfunction. The players are acting like spoiled children. The manager is a self-serving dink. Cherington is a babe amongst wolves. The owners are in over their heads. In the off-season, I am hoping they fire the manager, fire the GM, fire/buy-out the Chief Dick Lucchino, and clean house of the deadwood in the dugout. I would rather have 2-3 years of horrible teams trying to get better than a month of this bullsh*t

9. largebill - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM

We all make verbal slips or gaffes. Problem for Bobby Valentine is his slips always seem to fit his reputation so he will never get (or deserve) the benefit of doubt.

10. xpensivewinos - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Valentine is a f***ing scumbag and there’s no way he’s going to be portrayed as a sympathetic figure in all of this.

The aspects he can control regardless of all of the insanity surrounding the Red Sox since last September is the way he acts and the way he leads and he has done nothing but add fuel to the fire because that’s his personality. The craziness in the media, the injuries, the bad contracts, the underachieving players, etc., has zero impact on how he leads men. He’s a schmuck and an ego maniacal narcissist. He doesn’t know how to lead and build a team, he just knows how to act like one of the spoiled players.

He’s one of at least a dozen people the Red Sox need to get rid of the day after the season ends.

• badintent - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Some one needs a nap and their bottle soon , eh ??

11. drewsylvania - Aug 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM

This is what happens when clueless owners meddle.

12. bobdira - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I haven’t had this much fun watching the Red Sox since last September……

13. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Bobby better get his suits dry cleaned so he can get ready to be back on ESPN next year. Good god, a studio set with Bobby V, Curt Schilling, John Kruk and Karl Ravech. I feel terrible for Ravech.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Seriously though- if Berman does a guest appearance, he might dive headfirst out of the booth into the stands.

• brewcrewfan54 - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Oh my god adding Berman into the mix, someone should get arrested for torture.

• sabatimus - Aug 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

If Berman does a guest appearance, *I* might dive headfirst over a balcony into the stands below.

14. baseballbum - Aug 21, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Sayonara Bobby V. I thought he was the right choice at the time and he probably still can be an effective manager. Not with this group though. A culture like this will not change in one year. Terry F. held a lot of hands and protected his players. I’m not sure who will fit, but give Cherington a chance to figure it out (unlike the last time).

15. dude1974 - Aug 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I’m glad the Cards stayed away from him. Really, as much as I loathe the Red Sox, They need a manager like our new guy Matheny. Sure, He will make the occasional error in strategy, but he is protective of players. Until they prove their stupidity, then they go Houston.

16. yahmule - Aug 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Classic. Valentine had actually started to come off in a somewhat sympathetic light recently, but it’s just not in his nature to take the high road.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS