Aug 21, 2012, 4:48 PM EDT
Vicente Padilla is back from the disabled list following a minimum 15-day stay, rejoining the Red Sox’s bullpen after missing time with a biceps injury.
To make room for Padilla’s return the Red Sox sent Danny Valencia to Triple-A after initially calling him up to help sub for the injured Will Middlebrooks at third base. Instead of turning to Valencia–who was acquired from the Twins in a small trade two weeks ago–manager Bobby Valentine opted to go with Nick Punto as Middlebrooks’ primary fill-in.
Padilla threw 39 innings with a very strong 43/11 K/BB ratio and very underwhelming 4.62 ERA before getting hurt. He’ll slide back into a setup role.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 8
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 44
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)