Aug 21, 2012, 8:43 PM EST
By now you’ve surely heard of Reds youngster Billy Hamilton, regarded by many prospect evaluators as the fastest player at any level of professional baseball. Well, he just made some history:
He’s done it! 2 more steals for Billy Hamilton! 146 thefts this year!
— PensacolaBlueWahoos (@BlueWahoosBBall) August 22, 2012
That’s from the official Twitter account of the Double-A Pensacola Blue Wahoos, for whom Hamilton currently serves as the starting shortstop. The record that he broke belonged to Vince Coleman, who tallied 145 stolen bases in 1983 for Single-A Macon and went on to swipe 752 bags over a 13-year major league career.
Hamilton entered Tuesday’s game with a .318/.415/.435 batting line this year in the minors. There’s some thought that the Reds might call him up in September to provide an element of speed off the bench.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)