Aug 21, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
23-year-old Rubby De La Rosa appeared to be on a rehab path that would see him return to the majors in some role in September, but the Dodgers opted to speed things up a bit, activating him from the disabled list on Tuesday.
The move comes just one year and 12 days after De La Rosa underwent Tommy John surgery. One of the Dodgers’ bright spots for a time last year, De La Rosa had a 3.71 ERA and 60 strikeouts over 60 2/3 innings in 10 starts and three relief appearances in 2011.
De La Rosa is being brought back now after just four appearances in the minors. As you might have guessed, they were very good ones: he pitched 12 scoreless innings, allowing just five hits. However, none of those appearances came above A-ball. In his last appearance, he threw four scoreless innings for Single-A Rancho Cucamonga.
De La Rosa projects as a starter for the Dodgers in 2013 and beyond, but it appears as though he’ll work out of the bullpen for now. One assumes the Dodgers will be careful with him and won’t let him pitch on back-to-back days anytime soon. He was being used as a starter in the minors.
Getting the boot to make room for De La Rosa is ex-closer Javy Guerra. That too comes as a surprise, given that he had pitched 11 1/3 scoreless innings in his last nine appearances. He has a 2.66 ERA in 44 innings for the season.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (260)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)