Aug 21, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
23-year-old Rubby De La Rosa appeared to be on a rehab path that would see him return to the majors in some role in September, but the Dodgers opted to speed things up a bit, activating him from the disabled list on Tuesday.
The move comes just one year and 12 days after De La Rosa underwent Tommy John surgery. One of the Dodgers’ bright spots for a time last year, De La Rosa had a 3.71 ERA and 60 strikeouts over 60 2/3 innings in 10 starts and three relief appearances in 2011.
De La Rosa is being brought back now after just four appearances in the minors. As you might have guessed, they were very good ones: he pitched 12 scoreless innings, allowing just five hits. However, none of those appearances came above A-ball. In his last appearance, he threw four scoreless innings for Single-A Rancho Cucamonga.
De La Rosa projects as a starter for the Dodgers in 2013 and beyond, but it appears as though he’ll work out of the bullpen for now. One assumes the Dodgers will be careful with him and won’t let him pitch on back-to-back days anytime soon. He was being used as a starter in the minors.
Getting the boot to make room for De La Rosa is ex-closer Javy Guerra. That too comes as a surprise, given that he had pitched 11 1/3 scoreless innings in his last nine appearances. He has a 2.66 ERA in 44 innings for the season.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 6
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 54
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 40
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)