Aug 21, 2012, 10:35 PM EDT
It was Strasburg’s fifth double-digit strikeout game of the season. He improved to 15-5 with a 2.85 ERA.
The delay came with two outs in the bottom of the third inning. As soon as play resumed, Strasburg struck out Martin Prado on four pitches to end the frame. He went on to strike out two more in the fourth and the side in order in the fifth.
Given how careful the Nationals are being with Strasburg, they certainly would have been justified in shutting him down after the delay. Such a decision might have even bought him another start next month as he neared his inning limit. He’s at 145 1/3 innings after going six tonight, which would seem to suggest that he’ll make three more starts.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)