Aug 21, 2012, 10:35 PM EDT
It was Strasburg’s fifth double-digit strikeout game of the season. He improved to 15-5 with a 2.85 ERA.
The delay came with two outs in the bottom of the third inning. As soon as play resumed, Strasburg struck out Martin Prado on four pitches to end the frame. He went on to strike out two more in the fourth and the side in order in the fifth.
Given how careful the Nationals are being with Strasburg, they certainly would have been justified in shutting him down after the delay. Such a decision might have even bought him another start next month as he neared his inning limit. He’s at 145 1/3 innings after going six tonight, which would seem to suggest that he’ll make three more starts.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)