Aug 21, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
Terry Francona has taken to baseball commentary better than most ex-players and ex-managers do, but he’s not ruling out getting back in uniform. Well, in his case it’d be back in windbreaker, but you know what I mean. Bob Nightengale reports:
Francona, whose eight-year, stint with the Red Sox ended last September, told USA TODAY Sports he’d be interested in managing, but only for the right job.
“If something down the road presents itself and it’s the right job, I’d like to do it,” Francona said. “But I don’t want to manage just to manage.”
I hope he doesn’t manage next season because I have a sneaking suspicion Bobby Valentine is gonna be back on ESPN in 2013 and I think their banter would be rich.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)