Aug 21, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
“There’s no doubt, we are very happy that he’s a Marlin,’’ team president David Samson said.
Samson said the Marlins have had internal discussions this year about a possible long-term contract for Stanton. “I don’t think it it has been anything concrete,’’ Samson said.
Stanton makes a paltry $480,000 this year, but he’s going to be eligible for arbitration as soon as this year if he’s a Super Two, and no later than 2013 regardless. Given his power at such a young age, he’s going to get expensive fast. And free agency — eligible after 2016 — is going to come sooner than anyone thinks. Now would be a great time for Miami to make him an offer.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)