Aug 21, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
“There’s no doubt, we are very happy that he’s a Marlin,’’ team president David Samson said.
Samson said the Marlins have had internal discussions this year about a possible long-term contract for Stanton. “I don’t think it it has been anything concrete,’’ Samson said.
Stanton makes a paltry $480,000 this year, but he’s going to be eligible for arbitration as soon as this year if he’s a Super Two, and no later than 2013 regardless. Given his power at such a young age, he’s going to get expensive fast. And free agency — eligible after 2016 — is going to come sooner than anyone thinks. Now would be a great time for Miami to make him an offer.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)