Aug 21, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
“There’s no doubt, we are very happy that he’s a Marlin,’’ team president David Samson said.
Samson said the Marlins have had internal discussions this year about a possible long-term contract for Stanton. “I don’t think it it has been anything concrete,’’ Samson said.
Stanton makes a paltry $480,000 this year, but he’s going to be eligible for arbitration as soon as this year if he’s a Super Two, and no later than 2013 regardless. Given his power at such a young age, he’s going to get expensive fast. And free agency — eligible after 2016 — is going to come sooner than anyone thinks. Now would be a great time for Miami to make him an offer.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (270)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)