Aug 21, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT
“There’s no doubt, we are very happy that he’s a Marlin,’’ team president David Samson said.
Samson said the Marlins have had internal discussions this year about a possible long-term contract for Stanton. “I don’t think it it has been anything concrete,’’ Samson said.
Stanton makes a paltry $480,000 this year, but he’s going to be eligible for arbitration as soon as this year if he’s a Super Two, and no later than 2013 regardless. Given his power at such a young age, he’s going to get expensive fast. And free agency — eligible after 2016 — is going to come sooner than anyone thinks. Now would be a great time for Miami to make him an offer.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)