Aug 21, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
Nick Blackburn was dumped from the Twins’ rotation yesterday after being the worst pitcher in baseball for the past three seasons and today Minnesota recalled 23-year-old Liam Hendriks from Triple-A to replace him.
Hendriks has been awful in his first couple stints as a big leaguer, going 0-7 with a 6.71 ERA in 12 starts while serving up 13 homers in 62 innings.
However, his minor-league track record is solid and includes a 2.20 ERA in 16 starts at Triple-A this year. His strikeout-to-walk ratio there is considerably less impressive at 82-to-28 in 106 innings, but Hendriks projects as a mid-rotation starter long term and the last-place Twins might as well see if he’ll be ready for a full-time rotation spot next season.
Hendriks will start tomorrow against the A’s, in Oakland.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 110
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (110)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)