Aug 22, 2012, 11:01 PM EST
Beltre and Mitch Moreland both knocked in five runs in the game. Moreland had a grand slam as part of the huge fourth inning.
It was the first career three-homer game for Beltre and his first multihomer game of 2012. He had homered just once in 20 games this month.
Beltre now has 22 homers and 71 RBI in 119 games for the season. That’s plenty good and still makes him one of the game’s best third baseman, but it pales in comparison to the 32 homers and 105 RBI he racked up in just 124 games last year.
Beltre became the eighth player to hit at least three homers in a game this season. His Rangers teammate, Josh Hamilton, hit four back on May 8. The others to hit three homers this season are the Yankees’ Curtis Granderson, the Brewers’ Ryan Braun, the Reds’ Joey Votto, the Rockies’ Carlos Gonzalez, the Diamondbacks’ Jason Kubel and the Mets’ Ike Davis.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)