Aug 22, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT
Beltre and Mitch Moreland both knocked in five runs in the game. Moreland had a grand slam as part of the huge fourth inning.
It was the first career three-homer game for Beltre and his first multihomer game of 2012. He had homered just once in 20 games this month.
Beltre now has 22 homers and 71 RBI in 119 games for the season. That’s plenty good and still makes him one of the game’s best third baseman, but it pales in comparison to the 32 homers and 105 RBI he racked up in just 124 games last year.
Beltre became the eighth player to hit at least three homers in a game this season. His Rangers teammate, Josh Hamilton, hit four back on May 8. The others to hit three homers this season are the Yankees’ Curtis Granderson, the Brewers’ Ryan Braun, the Reds’ Joey Votto, the Rockies’ Carlos Gonzalez, the Diamondbacks’ Jason Kubel and the Mets’ Ike Davis.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)