Update: Albert Pujols to have MRI after leaving game due to calf tightness

Aug 22, 2012, 9:34 PM EDT

pujols getty tall Getty Images

Update (2 am. ET): Albert Pujols will have an MRI on his calf before Thursday’s game in Boston and it’s unclear if he will miss any time.

“I’m feeling sore right now,” Pujols told Laymance. “How I did it, I don’t know, I can’t tell you.”

Austin Laymance of MLB.com has the update from Fenway Park:

Angels first baseman Albert Pujols left Wednesday’s game against the Red Sox in the bottom of the fourth inning, the result of tightness in his right calf.

Pujols was 2-for-2 with a double and run before he was removed from the game with the Angels leading, 4-0.

Albert likely injured himself while trying to leg out a double off the left field wall in the first inning. He was thrown by a couple feet at second base.

The 32-year-old slugger is batting .283/.344/.533 with 28 home runs, 34 doubles and 86 RBI in 121 games played this season. The Angels are calling him day-to-day for now but will reevaluate everything Thursday.

Pujols has not missed a game this year because of an injury and he’s taken just two days off for rest.

1. hardballtalkusername - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Just when you thought you’d seen the last of him, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the return of Vernon Wells.

2. slumdog66 - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Just like the security guard in Austin powers before being steam rolled… Noooooooooooooooo!!!! Nooooooooooooooo!!!!

3. dan1111 - Aug 23, 2012 at 6:28 AM

“.283/.344/.533 with 28 home runs”

Remember back when people were claiming Pujols was done? I am glad he has turned things around this season, and I hope he returns quickly.

• paperlions - Aug 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I don’t remember that….at the very least, I don’t remember anyone that wasn’t obviously an idiot saying or buying into such a thing. What was and still is true is that this year’s numbers are in line with the decline he has shown the last few years and that his days as a perennial MVP candidate are gone, and he won’t be worth $25M for a single season of his 10 year contract……I still hope he returns quickly….it’s still fun watching him play.

• gostlcards5 - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:56 PM

You know PL, I’m not sure that you couldn’t blame the last two years’ worth of decline on early injury (last year) and the whole weight of the mega-contract/pressure/etc. (this year). I don’t generally have time to search stats by date or anything, but I seem to remember reading not very long ago that he was hitting well over .300 after the long-debated day off (compared with the all-star break and a few other select events). I don’t think that .300/30/100 is out of the realm of possibity for Albert (yet). I really want to leave that decision up until I see his numbers next year, when all this stuff will be in the past for him.

Either way, I completely agree that he’s still fun to watch, and despite the way he was treated by some fans after leaving StL (because I do not have animosity towards him), I hope he recovers quickly and gets back to playing.

4. stex52 - Aug 23, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I don’t really think many serious fans thought he was “done”. But if you look at his numbers they are the weakest in his 13 years in the league. He is still a very good player. But it’s not clear he’s the old Albert anymore. The issue has always been how much value the Angels will get out of the next ten years.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5242)