Andy Pettitte is “pretty much healed” and open to pitching next season

Aug 22, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Andy Pettitte AP

Andy Pettitte is no sure thing to pitch again this season following a recent setback with his broken ankle, but the 40-year-old sounds like someone planning to pitch in 2013.

Asked if he’d rule out coming back for another season, Pettitte told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York:

No, I wouldn’t. I mean, I’ll go home again and talk to my family about it and pray about it and really I’ll do what I feel like is the right thing to do. I really can’t tell you right now that there’s no way I’m [not] going to play.

Performance-wise coming back should be a no-brainer, as Pettitte was fantastic before the fluke injury with a 3.22 ERA and 59/15 K/BB ratio in 59 innings. He basically picked up right where he left off before retiring.

As for this season, Pettitte said: “I’m pretty much healed. Now it’s just a matter of not having a setback, you know?”

1. dan1111 - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

So Roger Clemens Jr.–oops, I mean Andy Pettitte–is going to be retiring every year for awhile now? Color me not surprised.

• Jeremy T - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM

When did he retire this year?

2. redsoxfan75 - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Yes as per my name I am a red sox fan, and I am not saying this for any other reason than WHY ??? He was a great pitcher, and had a great career. Winning championships and being a legend in NYC, why risk possible serious further injury by coming back?? What is there left to prove???

• rooney24 - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM

How serious of an injury is he risking? This isn’t football, where you know any hit holds a small chance of paralyzing you or causing a concussion that may cause problems later in life. I could understand your point if we were talking about football. But, what does he risk in baseball? Elbow or shoudler injury? Those can be fixed, and not cause huge long term problems (at least if you have Pettite’s money, they can be fixed well). Maybe he just wants to test himself and see if he can compete.

• redsoxfan75 - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I know those injuries can be fixed, No Shit !!!!! But why not go off on a farm somewhere count your money and enjoy the family life !!!! Why test himself, he tested himself for years …..and won! Makes no sense really

• protius - Aug 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM

redsoxfan, Pettitte has a competitive nature, that what makes him want to return to MLB; it’s the competition of him against a batter.

It makes sense to him, and ultimately, that’s all that counts.

• hojo20 - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I guess spending time with his family was boring.

• hughhoney2 - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I don’t think it’s about proving anything at this point. These guys just can’t let go of the game. When you love something its hard to let go. If it were a Jamie Moyer case here i’d say just hang em up, but Andy pitch really well before the injury and he is a smart pitcher. His body no doubt will catch up sooner than later I’m sure but as a fan of him and the Yanks, I say keep it going!

Especially if I have to sit through another Nova/Hughes mystery start!

3. xmatt0926x - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I only ask that he please just say yes or no next spring so we don’t have to go through all the ESPN reports of whether he will or won’t. Just don’t go Brett Favre on the world. We don’t need to see helicopters flying over high school fields with reported sightings, sasquatch-like photos of him going in and out of yankees offices. Just do it or don’t do it Andy.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act