Aug 22, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Craig Calcaterra wrote yesterday about how manager Mike Scioscia’s job is probably safe despite the Angels’ recent struggles, but the same isn’t necessarily true about pitching coach Mike Butcher.
For one thing coaches tend to get the ax first–hitting coach Mickey Hatcher was fired in May–especially when the manager involved has been with the team for such a long time. And for another thing the Angels’ pitching staff has mostly been a mess.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times asked Butcher about fan criticism and the perception his job could be in jeopardy, and Butcher replied:
I’m not going to defend my job, because I know how good I am. I know what I bring to the table every day. I know I get these guys prepared. They work every day. Nothing is going to change the way I go about preparing the guys.
I’m always looking to improve, but as far as worrying about myself? I’m not. These last few weeks have been rough. We’re not pitching to our capabilities. Obviously, it shows. It’s never been about me when things are going good. When things go bad, you take it personal.
Scioscia also stuck up for Butcher, who’s been his pitching coach since 2006.
Before the All-Star break the Angels had the second-best ERA in the American League at 3.61, but since the All-Star break their staff ERA is a league-worst 5.58.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 140
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (140)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)