Baseball and Bud to stay together for six more years

Aug 22, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT

generic beer

No, not Selig, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did too. Bud as in Budweiser:

Budweiser and baseball, two American staples whose history can be traced back to the late 1800s, will continue to go hand-in-hand. Anheuser-Busch and Major League Baseball Properties today announced a six-year renewal of the sponsorship agreement that designates Budweiser as the Official Beer Sponsor of Major League Baseball, continuing a relationship that has lasted more than 30 years.

Sorry hipsters, your trappist/craft/home brew/fancy IPA whatever just missed the cut.  Meanwhile, baseball will continue to tolerate the Miller incursion in places like Milwaukee and Detroit. Colorado? Oh boy, we have no idea what to do with you.

In all seriousness, though, the Bud-baseball thing is quite something. They sponsor practically everything in baseball, from player of the month awards, playoff games (they’re sponsoring this year’s new play-in wild card game) and lots of other things. It’s almost to the point where the baseball-Bud partnership is so deep that one wonders if, perversely, it’s almost too good. Like, is the Bud logo on so many baseball things and vice-versa that you don’t really even see it anymore. I’m sure some marketing person could tell me if that’s actually a thing.

If so, maybe there is room for Olde Comp-le-cated Imperial Lentil Soup Stout to forge some kind of partnership with baseball. Because there’s nothing like drinking away a hot day at the ballpark with that sort of thing.

1. mattyflex - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Advertisement desensitization is the term you seek.

2. bsbiz - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Lentil Soup Stouts are so last week. Now we’re into Shellfish Lambics.

3. dwrek5 - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Well lets bust out some ‘Nums and have us a celebraish, you guys!

• kopy - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Is trunk liquor an official sponsor of Major League Baseball?

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I prefer tub liquor, personally.

• groundruledoublebourbon - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Can we have some Karl’s Brotato Salad? Maybe throw some Cheetos on top? Full spread, really. The works.

I can’t express is words how thrilled I am that @dadboner’s terminology is becoming mainstream. Or, as mainstream as a blog pertaining to baseball/batman/bourbon can be. Real power move . . . you guys.

• sportsdrenched - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM

It’s getting that way on twitter too. Give it another year and it will work its way into normal conversation and most people doing it won’t know where it came from.

• lmoneyfresh - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Dadboner is incredibly unfunny. I tried following that guy for a while and it was painful to read that garbage.

• kopy - Aug 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM

You must be Nosey Lady.

4. bdnnbd - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Budweiser is the hipster’s drink of choice, numbnuts.

• mattyflex - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Pabst Blue Ribbon is the beer you seek.

• kopy - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Is it still? I’ve always loved PBR, and I’m just waiting for it to become “mainstream” so the hipsters can move onto something else. Budweiser would be pretty ironic.

• mattyflex - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

A google image search of “PBR tattoo” should tell you all you need to know.

I also have always been a PBR fan, but I’m about to have to disassociate myself with it before I have an insatiable craving to ride vintage bicycles and grow a mustache.

• mybrunoblog - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

A while back I brought a few six packs of PBR to a party. I only grabbed it because I saw it at the liquor store and thought I’d try some old school beer. I didn’t know it at the time but I was being “hip”( I haven’t been hip since then)

• sportsdrenched - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Don’t feel bad Bruno, I always thought PBR was a blue collar beer becuase that’s what my uncles would drink while listening to 38 Special, Lynyrd Skynyrd, & Allman Bro Band while tinkering with car engines.

When my sister, who is far more hip than I, told me it was a hipster beer I argued with her about it for a week. Till I finally relented and did the research. Sure enough, hipster have latched on to it and have for years.

• dwrek5 - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Budweiser has been relegated to the white and sleeveless. Jay-Z being the lone outlier.

5. kopy - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM

In related news, MLB keeps sweeping DUI offenses commited by personnel under the rug.

6. ottomanismydog - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Ha a true American beer… AB InBev is a Belgium company.

7. southpaw2k - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I nearly had a heart attack from reading the headline until I read the first sentence of the article.

• Bryz - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Same here!

8. mrwillie - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I still prefer a Duff Beer while watching the Isotopes.

9. lorddarkhelmet - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM

viva la Old Style!!!

10. Alex K - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Colorado isn’t that different from Milwaukee. The reason? Miller and Coors are the same company.

• drunkenhooliganism - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

They aren’t the same company. I believe they share some production facilities in the US, but they’re not the same company

• ajcardsfan - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Actually they are now, under MillerCoors. Back in 2007 SABMiller and Molson Coors joined a company up for purpose of selling Miller and Coors products in the US

• drunkenhooliganism - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I guess I should stick to not drinking any of their products. and not commenting on them.

• ajcardsfan - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Probably a good call, didn’t know this until one of my friends pointed it out to me a few weeks ago, but MillerCoors is the company of hipsters, apparently they’re the ones that produce PBR.

11. tmohr - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

(NSFW)

12. muskyhunter2542 - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Lentil soup is 100% better than bud… Budweiser is peewater!!!

13. chill1184 - Aug 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Yet they complain about gambling.

14. vallewho - Aug 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM

you scared me, motherfaker.

15. sportsdrenched - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I’ve pretty much quit drinking A-B Products. Maybe Busch Light if my neck is red that day.

Boulevard advertises extensively with the Royals broadcasts and in the stadium. I’m kind of a Boulevard homer now. Which is why I’m sad to say I find their latest year round beer; 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat…just OK. I’ll probably buy the regular wheat next time I want a wheat beer.

The Sixth Glass is my favorite right now. Love that stuff.

16. willclarkgameface - Aug 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Hey Red Sox – WE’RE IN BUSINESS!!!

17. anxovies - Aug 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Tree Frog Beer! Breakfast of Champions.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5517)