Aug 22, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
No, not Selig, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did too. Bud as in Budweiser:
Budweiser and baseball, two American staples whose history can be traced back to the late 1800s, will continue to go hand-in-hand. Anheuser-Busch and Major League Baseball Properties today announced a six-year renewal of the sponsorship agreement that designates Budweiser as the Official Beer Sponsor of Major League Baseball, continuing a relationship that has lasted more than 30 years.
Sorry hipsters, your trappist/craft/home brew/fancy IPA whatever just missed the cut. Meanwhile, baseball will continue to tolerate the Miller incursion in places like Milwaukee and Detroit. Colorado? Oh boy, we have no idea what to do with you.
In all seriousness, though, the Bud-baseball thing is quite something. They sponsor practically everything in baseball, from player of the month awards, playoff games (they’re sponsoring this year’s new play-in wild card game) and lots of other things. It’s almost to the point where the baseball-Bud partnership is so deep that one wonders if, perversely, it’s almost too good. Like, is the Bud logo on so many baseball things and vice-versa that you don’t really even see it anymore. I’m sure some marketing person could tell me if that’s actually a thing.
If so, maybe there is room for Olde Comp-le-cated Imperial Lentil Soup Stout to forge some kind of partnership with baseball. Because there’s nothing like drinking away a hot day at the ballpark with that sort of thing.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)