Aug 22, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
No, not Selig, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did too. Bud as in Budweiser:
Budweiser and baseball, two American staples whose history can be traced back to the late 1800s, will continue to go hand-in-hand. Anheuser-Busch and Major League Baseball Properties today announced a six-year renewal of the sponsorship agreement that designates Budweiser as the Official Beer Sponsor of Major League Baseball, continuing a relationship that has lasted more than 30 years.
Sorry hipsters, your trappist/craft/home brew/fancy IPA whatever just missed the cut. Meanwhile, baseball will continue to tolerate the Miller incursion in places like Milwaukee and Detroit. Colorado? Oh boy, we have no idea what to do with you.
In all seriousness, though, the Bud-baseball thing is quite something. They sponsor practically everything in baseball, from player of the month awards, playoff games (they’re sponsoring this year’s new play-in wild card game) and lots of other things. It’s almost to the point where the baseball-Bud partnership is so deep that one wonders if, perversely, it’s almost too good. Like, is the Bud logo on so many baseball things and vice-versa that you don’t really even see it anymore. I’m sure some marketing person could tell me if that’s actually a thing.
If so, maybe there is room for Olde Comp-le-cated Imperial Lentil Soup Stout to forge some kind of partnership with baseball. Because there’s nothing like drinking away a hot day at the ballpark with that sort of thing.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 46
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (237)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)