Denard Span out for 10th straight day, too claustrophobic for MRI exam

Aug 22, 2012, 2:10 PM EST

Span_Denard

For the 10th straight day Denard Span is out of the Twins’ lineup because of a shoulder injury but still on the active roster instead of being placed on the disabled list.

That’s become an odd trend for the Twins since last season, although 10 days of playing with a 24-man roster is extreme even for them.

To make matters worse, after a week on the sidelines the Twins finally decided to give Span a pair of MRI exams … and he couldn’t complete the second one because he’s claustrophobic:

I don’t know what else to say. It’s embarrassing that I couldn’t get it done today, but bottom line, I stayed there for an hour trying to get it done. Just couldn’t do it, man. I tried my best. When they strapped me in there and told me I couldn’t move for 35 minutes, I just couldn’t do it. I didn’t have enough Valium.

Span was able to take batting practice yesterday, but he’s absent from Minnesota’s lineup this afternoon and the Twins still haven’t made a roster move.

It’s been an especially tough week (and/or year) for the Twins’ medical staff.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Twins medical staff reporting that Phyllis Diller is day-to-day with a minor case of the death. A DL stint is not expected to be necessary.

2. shaggylocks - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I didn’t realize I was claustrophobic until I had to lie in an MRI machine myself. Serious panic attacks. I wouldn’t wish that hell on anyone, not even a division rival.

3. seeinred87 - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM

They have open MRI machines…

• redguy12588 - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Not in Minnesota.

• Bryz - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Twins are on a West Coast trip right now. If anything, it’s Oakland that doesn’t have that type of MRI, unless Span flew back to the Cities.

• kopy - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I’d point out that the Mayo Clinic is in Minnesota, but it seems like you wouldn’t know what that means.

• redguy12588 - Aug 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I’d point out that you don’t have a sense of humor, but it seems like you wouldn’t know what that is.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM

It’s still right on top of you. If the nurse didn’t ignore my initial freak out, I never would have gotten one completed. open on the sides. if they’re doing a head MRI, they lock your head into place, so it doesn’t matter if the sides are open anyways, you can’t see a damn thing but the wall two inches from your face.

• nekotman - Aug 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

They have MRI machines larger enough to handle a very pregnant woman. I was in one once. If they can’t find one with a bigger opening why not just give him a big hit of valium.

4. natslady - Aug 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I have sympathy with this. My father was so afraid of heights that when we drove to the Grand Canyon he had to lie curled on the floor of the car. And he was a tough WWII vet. I have maybe 10% of what he had, and I can’t look down from a tall building (I mean, when I’m “safely” inside it).

5. tree3383 - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM

The twins are a poor baseball club.

• Tim OShenko - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM

That’s because there’s only two of them. Of course, the Twins, with their 25-man roster, aren’t a whole lot better, thanks in part to the woefully incompetent training staff.

6. gmsalpha - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I had an MRI on my shoulder about 2 months ago and perhaps it was an open MRI since I felt like there was about a foot of space around me in all directions and it wasn’t entirely enclosed on the sides.

But then again, I really can’t say because my eyes were closed the whole time and I had a towel over them because I consider myself claustrophobic. Caves and crawlspaces really freak me out!

Perhaps my case is considered mild compared to a lot of people? I still say I’m claustrophobic, but the MRI wasn’t bad. The hardest thing about it was knowing I couldn’t scratch my itches!

7. rooney24 - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM

The Twins need to entirely overhaul the training staff. They constantly misdiagnose things. Something diagnosed as minor and day to day ends up leading to a long time missed and/or surgery needed. Guess when the bumped up the payroll a little a couple of years ago, they had to cut corners somewhere else. Maybe the training staff was something they cut.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3205)
  2. J. Kang (3074)
  3. C. McGehee (2794)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2765)
  5. J. Upton (2751)