Aug 22, 2012, 2:10 PM EST
For the 10th straight day Denard Span is out of the Twins’ lineup because of a shoulder injury but still on the active roster instead of being placed on the disabled list.
That’s become an odd trend for the Twins since last season, although 10 days of playing with a 24-man roster is extreme even for them.
To make matters worse, after a week on the sidelines the Twins finally decided to give Span a pair of MRI exams … and he couldn’t complete the second one because he’s claustrophobic:
I don’t know what else to say. It’s embarrassing that I couldn’t get it done today, but bottom line, I stayed there for an hour trying to get it done. Just couldn’t do it, man. I tried my best. When they strapped me in there and told me I couldn’t move for 35 minutes, I just couldn’t do it. I didn’t have enough Valium.
Span was able to take batting practice yesterday, but he’s absent from Minnesota’s lineup this afternoon and the Twins still haven’t made a roster move.
It’s been an especially tough week (and/or year) for the Twins’ medical staff.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)