Aug 22, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
For the 10th straight day Denard Span is out of the Twins’ lineup because of a shoulder injury but still on the active roster instead of being placed on the disabled list.
That’s become an odd trend for the Twins since last season, although 10 days of playing with a 24-man roster is extreme even for them.
To make matters worse, after a week on the sidelines the Twins finally decided to give Span a pair of MRI exams … and he couldn’t complete the second one because he’s claustrophobic:
I don’t know what else to say. It’s embarrassing that I couldn’t get it done today, but bottom line, I stayed there for an hour trying to get it done. Just couldn’t do it, man. I tried my best. When they strapped me in there and told me I couldn’t move for 35 minutes, I just couldn’t do it. I didn’t have enough Valium.
Span was able to take batting practice yesterday, but he’s absent from Minnesota’s lineup this afternoon and the Twins still haven’t made a roster move.
It’s been an especially tough week (and/or year) for the Twins’ medical staff.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)