Aug 22, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
When the Indians re-signed Grady Sizemore to a one-year, $5 million they did so hoping he’d be ready for Opening Day, but instead the oft-injured center fielder hasn’t played a single game and now he’s been ruled out for the season following another setback.
Manager Manny Acta summed up the situation pretty well to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com:
It’s sad. I won’t call it disappointing. I’m just sad for the human being that he is, and the type of player that he is. … A lot of things have happened over the last three, four years that have been completely out of his control. The guy played the game right. He was an elite player in this league. Unfortunately, over the last three or four seasons, he hasn’t been able to do it.
Sizemore is still only 30 years old, but he’s had multiple surgeries on his back, elbow, and both knees. And he’s just never been able to build any momentum with his latest comeback, repeatedly having to take a break from rehab due to different aches and pains.
By age 25 he’d made three All-Star teams, won two Gold Glove awards, and received MVP votes in four seasons. In four years since then Sizemore will have missed 438 of a possible 648 games while hitting .234 when in the lineup. What a shame.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 15
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 53
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)