Aug 22, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Jerry Hairston Jr. played through a hip injury for two months before finally shutting things down last week and now it sounds like he won’t be playing again this season.
Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times reports that an anti-inflammatory injection did nothing to ease Hairston’s discomfort and he 36-year-old utility man “could be headed for arthroscopic surgery.”
In playing through the injury Hairston hit just .204 with a .556 OPS in 44 games dating back to mid-June, which probably has the team wondering if he’d have been better off getting it taken care of immediately.
Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone indicated that Hairston would be fully healthy by spring training if he does have the surgery and he’s under contract for next season at $3.75 million.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 51
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 8
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games