Aug 22, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
Felix Hernandez didn’t make any sort of run at Johnny Vander Meer’s unbreakable record of back-to-back no-hitters Tuesday — he gave up a single to Jason Kipnis, the very first batter he faced — but he did limit the Indians to one run in 7 2/3 innings in a 4-1 victory.
Meanwhile, the other Hernandez on the mound for Cleveland — Roberto, the former Fausto Carmona — did make things interesting for a bit, pitching 4 2/3 hitless innings before Eric Thames homered. He ended up allowing four runs on three hits in six innings.
Felix Hernandez, meanwhile, scattered seven hits, but every last one was a single. He walked one and struck out five in improving to 12-5 on the season. Since Jered Weaver got shelled last time out, King Felix currently stands third in the AL with a 2.54 ERA.
Hernandez has gone 13 straight starts without taking a loss. AL Cy Young voters figure to take into account his lack of run support when it’s time to pick a winner come early October. One more shutout could really help his case; if he gets his fifth, he’d be the first AL starter to reach that total since David Wells in 1998.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)