Aug 22, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
Felix Hernandez didn’t make any sort of run at Johnny Vander Meer’s unbreakable record of back-to-back no-hitters Tuesday — he gave up a single to Jason Kipnis, the very first batter he faced — but he did limit the Indians to one run in 7 2/3 innings in a 4-1 victory.
Meanwhile, the other Hernandez on the mound for Cleveland — Roberto, the former Fausto Carmona — did make things interesting for a bit, pitching 4 2/3 hitless innings before Eric Thames homered. He ended up allowing four runs on three hits in six innings.
Felix Hernandez, meanwhile, scattered seven hits, but every last one was a single. He walked one and struck out five in improving to 12-5 on the season. Since Jered Weaver got shelled last time out, King Felix currently stands third in the AL with a 2.54 ERA.
Hernandez has gone 13 straight starts without taking a loss. AL Cy Young voters figure to take into account his lack of run support when it’s time to pick a winner come early October. One more shutout could really help his case; if he gets his fifth, he’d be the first AL starter to reach that total since David Wells in 1998.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)