Aug 22, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
Felix Hernandez didn’t make any sort of run at Johnny Vander Meer’s unbreakable record of back-to-back no-hitters Tuesday — he gave up a single to Jason Kipnis, the very first batter he faced — but he did limit the Indians to one run in 7 2/3 innings in a 4-1 victory.
Meanwhile, the other Hernandez on the mound for Cleveland — Roberto, the former Fausto Carmona — did make things interesting for a bit, pitching 4 2/3 hitless innings before Eric Thames homered. He ended up allowing four runs on three hits in six innings.
Felix Hernandez, meanwhile, scattered seven hits, but every last one was a single. He walked one and struck out five in improving to 12-5 on the season. Since Jered Weaver got shelled last time out, King Felix currently stands third in the AL with a 2.54 ERA.
Hernandez has gone 13 straight starts without taking a loss. AL Cy Young voters figure to take into account his lack of run support when it’s time to pick a winner come early October. One more shutout could really help his case; if he gets his fifth, he’d be the first AL starter to reach that total since David Wells in 1998.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 7
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 36
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)