Aug 22, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
Felix Hernandez didn’t make any sort of run at Johnny Vander Meer’s unbreakable record of back-to-back no-hitters Tuesday — he gave up a single to Jason Kipnis, the very first batter he faced — but he did limit the Indians to one run in 7 2/3 innings in a 4-1 victory.
Meanwhile, the other Hernandez on the mound for Cleveland — Roberto, the former Fausto Carmona — did make things interesting for a bit, pitching 4 2/3 hitless innings before Eric Thames homered. He ended up allowing four runs on three hits in six innings.
Felix Hernandez, meanwhile, scattered seven hits, but every last one was a single. He walked one and struck out five in improving to 12-5 on the season. Since Jered Weaver got shelled last time out, King Felix currently stands third in the AL with a 2.54 ERA.
Hernandez has gone 13 straight starts without taking a loss. AL Cy Young voters figure to take into account his lack of run support when it’s time to pick a winner come early October. One more shutout could really help his case; if he gets his fifth, he’d be the first AL starter to reach that total since David Wells in 1998.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 0
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 65
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 34
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)