Player Poll: A-Rod is the phoniest player in the game

Aug 22, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Getty Images

Sports Illustrated continues to trickle out the results of player polling they did. We’ve had the most overrated, the most underrated, the meanest, the most eccentric and the most popular. Now, the phoniest: like you needed to tell me it was gonna be A-Rod?

Rodriguez finished first with 26% of the vote, followed by Nick Swisher with 14%, Nyjer Morgan with 11%, Brian Wilson at 9% and Brandon Phillips at 5%.

Obviously (a) it’s not scientific; and (b) based on some of the anonymous player comments that come out when these things are published, players are as catty as a sewing circle.  It has the added benefit of being totally meaningless.

1. dondada10 - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I’m a little surprised by Swisher. Yankees rules don’t really let a player look as wild as they’d like. I guess some guys look at it that he sold out.

• kopy - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM

It seems like Swisher could be really phony in an “acts really friendly like he’s your buddy but you can tell he’s not being genuine” kind of way.

• dan1111 - Aug 23, 2012 at 5:26 AM

The real question is not “why did players vote a certain way?” but “why does this poll exist?” Asking players to badmouth each other anonymously for the sole purpose of generating a controversial headline is completely and utterly classless. Sportswriting has had plenty of low moments, but this has to be among the worst. I can think of no better word to describe this whole charade than: “phony”.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

But it’s not always about bad-mouthing, you have the most underrated, the most popular, you also have some about who the best is. Also some of those polls are about the hardest records that will never be beat. I think the poll itself is Ok, maybe this one in particular shouldn’t have been done…

2. 18thstreet - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM

A-Rod: Like you didn’t call me a phony?

Players: What? Thanks! Real good! First of all, I think you completely misunderstood what I said. I meant it in a complementary way. I mean, you know when people say, ‘He’s bad’, it really means he’s good, sort of thing? You know, slang.

A-Rod: Use it in a sentence.

Players: Man, that Michael Jordan is so phony.

3. number42is1 - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM

A-rod in the only on in that list that makes sense. Swish is a love him or hate him kind of guy but certainly not phony. Morgan is/was a straight up asshole which != phony.

4. El Bravo - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Swisher is certainly the biggest douche in the game. Did they take that player poll? God, that guy is such a raging D’nozzle.

• number42is1 - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM

man oh man…. did he sleep with your HS girlfriend or something? you really hate this dude.

• vallewho - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

^it’s the only logical explanation.

• El Bravo - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I really do. He was my least favorite player before he went to one of my least favorite teams. He could only be douchier if he were traded to the Cowboys.

Nick Swisher is to baseball as Herpes is to Genitalia.

• El Bravo - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Anyone who is a Swisher apologist can send their first and last name my way so that I can add you to this year’s douchenozzle list.

• minier827 - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

you suck guy!

5. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM

It is a product of a broken system. Clearly the penalty for being phony isn’t enough to deter them from doing phony things. Perhaps they should be deported.

• willclarkgameface - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Is that you Rick Sutcliffe?

6. willclarkgameface - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM

A Rod is the most phony dude around AND he keeps getting Yankee-caliber tail. It’s so much deeper than any of us could imagine. It blows my mind.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

“It is so much deeper than any of us could imagine.”……………maybe that is why he keeps getting “Yankee-caliber tail.”

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

The only way Madonna qualifies as “Yankee quality tail” is because she looks like Thurman Munson’s corpse.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Ouch, I laughed really hard, but ouch…

7. afirst916 - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM

There must be a lot about Nick Swisher the general public doesn’t know.

Reading Deadspin’s Q&A with an anonymous sports PR person, he was asked “What’s the best athlete fued that the public doesn’t know about,” and dude responded, “Yankees and Nick Swisher.”

• vallewho - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM

If only Torre was still managing the Yankees…We would get the skinny in his next book.

• number42is1 - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Girardi is ALL about books.

• dondada10 - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM

That was a great piece. I’m surprised nobody asked any follow up questions when he said Lebron James snowballs.

• kopy - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Wait, like in Clerks?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Try not to suck any dicks on the way to your car!

8. crpls - Aug 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I don’t know how anyone who’s ever seen Jeter give an interview would vote for anyone other than him.

9. lazlosother - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM

So the Yanks have the top two players on the list. As a NY fan I find this oddly satisfying. It’s sorta nice to see that NY is the best at everything.

• bravojawja - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Funny, I took it to mean that NY is second best at everything.

10. yahmule - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I’m amazed Brian Wilson and his painfully contrived “wacky” relief pitcher schtick didn’t take first place.

• stex52 - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM

What you said. Time for the next “wacky, totally original” guy to have his turn. And then the next…….

• jarathen - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Same here. It’s obviously a media-grab act.

• realgone2 - Aug 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I’d stuff the ballot box for wilson. That guy is the most annoying professional athlete around.

11. buffalomafia - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Who wants to make a side bet that A-Rod doesnt beat Barry Bonds homerun record?

• dowhatifeellike - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I’m not really concerned about which juicer comes out on top.

12. psousa1 - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I couldn’t stand Swisher even when he was in Oakland. He looked like he cared more about being a stylemaster than a ball player. He got his asz shipped to Chicago for one year, bombed or course and then got picked up off the scrap heap by NYY, stuck him in a lineup where he is the only guy you cannot pitch around and with foul poles 290 feet from home plate. Not to mention he is the worst every day OF in baseball. The worst. If this guy went to any other team he would be in Triple A. This guy wants a huge contract too. Friggin delusional. Cashman knows he can replace him with an orange pylon if needs too.

• vallewho - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Thought he was pretty productive in OAK…shipped out like every one else from that team once they get a few years….Bombed in Chitown…ok…but he played out of position. AND one word…Ozzie. In NY, he has done a good job (sans playoffs – he’s not alone in that part). The dude looks like he has fun every day. Even when he struggles, and belts a loud FUUUhhhQQ he’s being real. I can certainly appreciate that. Maybe the real phonies are the ones that he “rubs” the wrong way and don’t say anything until they can submit their word anonymously.

13. j0esixpack - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:16 PM

So he uses his phone a lot. What’s the big deal.

14. meteor32 - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I guess Grienke was right and that Chris Carpenter has a phony attitude but is not a full-fledged phony.

15. dizoakiusmaximus - Aug 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Who came up with this poll? Holden Caulfield?

16. kandlestickkid - Aug 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Hey 18thStreet:

U r a PHONY. Plagerizing a TV sitcom dialogue. Really?
    At least give Seinfeld credit!

• cur68 - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM

18street can defend himself: he’s taken on bigger fish than you by far (*nods to ‘cepts*), but I wouldn’t want him thinking that I didn’t get the Seinfeld reference without the citation. I’d frankly be offended if he’d stuck in the citation. Like, what does he think, anyways? None of us know a Seinfeld quote and need to be told?

17. beantown85 - Aug 22, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Nick Swisher is one of my most hated players and I’m glad other players see him as being phony, because that’s all I see whenever I look at him.

18. deathmonkey41 - Aug 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Leave a-Rod alone!!!

BTW- how does that d-bag Ortiz not make the list? The whole Big, Loveable Teddy Bear thing is one of the most sickingly phoney acts in all of sports. He’s a big, angry, egomaniac cheater who didn’t even show enough integrity to admit that he cheated.

19. smcgaels1997 - Aug 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Brian Wilson is a straight up weird dude, that’s not fake…he’s out there.

• realgone2 - Aug 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM

He is a poser.

20. 1historian - Aug 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I’ve been debating about whether or not to renew my subscription to SI. My objection to them is not their photography, which is spectacular, but that the quality of the writing just gets worse and worse.

This clinched it.

21. yankeesfanlen - Aug 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I’m late to this party, but leave arod alone1 And Swish too! Beep-beep, on the other hand…………

22. seijeezy - Aug 23, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I can’t wait for Craig Kimbrel to grow out a beard and make epic win jokes.

Ace-killer Giants do it again