Aug 22, 2012, 7:31 PM EST
As first reported by Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, the Rangers have scratched right-handed starter Yu Darvish from his scheduled outing Thursday night against the Twins because of a tight right quad.
Darvish first felt the upper leg discomfort in the middle of his between-starts bullpen session Tuesday afternoon at the Ballpark in Arlington. He was able to complete the workout but had to stop and stretch multiple times, and the Rangers don’t want to risk this becoming a more serious thing.
Roy Oswalt will take the mound Thursday instead.
Darvish, 26, has a 4.51 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and 172/80 K/BB ratio over the first 147 2/3 innings of his major league career. He totaled 232 innings last season in Japan, so endurance should not be an issue.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)