Aug 22, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
As first reported by Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, the Rangers have scratched right-handed starter Yu Darvish from his scheduled outing Thursday night against the Twins because of a tight right quad.
Darvish first felt the upper leg discomfort in the middle of his between-starts bullpen session Tuesday afternoon at the Ballpark in Arlington. He was able to complete the workout but had to stop and stretch multiple times, and the Rangers don’t want to risk this becoming a more serious thing.
Roy Oswalt will take the mound Thursday instead.
Darvish, 26, has a 4.51 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and 172/80 K/BB ratio over the first 147 2/3 innings of his major league career. He totaled 232 innings last season in Japan, so endurance should not be an issue.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)