Aug 22, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
As first reported by Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, the Rangers have scratched right-handed starter Yu Darvish from his scheduled outing Thursday night against the Twins because of a tight right quad.
Darvish first felt the upper leg discomfort in the middle of his between-starts bullpen session Tuesday afternoon at the Ballpark in Arlington. He was able to complete the workout but had to stop and stretch multiple times, and the Rangers don’t want to risk this becoming a more serious thing.
Roy Oswalt will take the mound Thursday instead.
Darvish, 26, has a 4.51 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and 172/80 K/BB ratio over the first 147 2/3 innings of his major league career. He totaled 232 innings last season in Japan, so endurance should not be an issue.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 47
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)