Aug 22, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera has company.
Last week Cabrera was suspended for 50 games following a positive test for testosterone in the middle of a career-best season in which he hit .346 with a .906 OPS and won All-Star game MVP honors.
Colon hasn’t had quite that type of impact, but he’s been plenty solid for Oakland on a one-year, $2 million contract with a 3.43 ERA and 91/23 K/BB ratio in 152 innings spread over 24 starts. And now at age 39 it’s safe to wonder if he’s thrown his last pitch in the big leagues.
MLB previously investigated the stem-cell treatment that Colon received two years ago for his elbow in an effort to make it back to the majors after not pitching at all in 2010. He was successful in his comeback and MLB cleared him of any potential performance enhancing-drug violations.
It’s a tough blow for the A’s in the AL West and Wild Card races, but with Brett Anderson looking good in his return from Tommy John surgery last night and Dan Straily waiting in the wings at Triple-A their rotation depth is strong.
UPDATE: Colon won’t be appealing and admitted his guilt via an official statement: “I apologize to the fans, to my teammates and to the Oakland A’s. I accept responsibility for my actions.”
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 19
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)