Aug 22, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera has company.
Last week Cabrera was suspended for 50 games following a positive test for testosterone in the middle of a career-best season in which he hit .346 with a .906 OPS and won All-Star game MVP honors.
Colon hasn’t had quite that type of impact, but he’s been plenty solid for Oakland on a one-year, $2 million contract with a 3.43 ERA and 91/23 K/BB ratio in 152 innings spread over 24 starts. And now at age 39 it’s safe to wonder if he’s thrown his last pitch in the big leagues.
MLB previously investigated the stem-cell treatment that Colon received two years ago for his elbow in an effort to make it back to the majors after not pitching at all in 2010. He was successful in his comeback and MLB cleared him of any potential performance enhancing-drug violations.
It’s a tough blow for the A’s in the AL West and Wild Card races, but with Brett Anderson looking good in his return from Tommy John surgery last night and Dan Straily waiting in the wings at Triple-A their rotation depth is strong.
UPDATE: Colon won’t be appealing and admitted his guilt via an official statement: “I apologize to the fans, to my teammates and to the Oakland A’s. I accept responsibility for my actions.”
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)