Carl Crawford undergoes Tommy John surgery

Aug 23, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT

Carl Crawford Getty Getty Images

Carl Crawford underwent Tommy John surgery on his left elbow today. And I’ll save you the suspense: the surgery was successful.

Here’s a statement from the Red Sox, via Maureen A. Mullen of CSNNE.com:

“Carl Crawford underwent a successful left elbow ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction (Tommy John surgery) performed by Dr. James Andrews today in Pensacola, FL. We expect Carl to make a full recovery.”

Having the surgery now rather than in October gives Crawford a better chance of contributing in the early part of 2013, but he’s far from a sure thing to be ready for the start of the season. So yes, you can expect lots of drama on that topic during spring training.

Crawford was limited to just 30 games this season due to wrist and elbow issues and has a disappointing .260/.292/.419 batting line over his first two seasons with Boston. The 31-year-old outfielder still has five years and $102.5 million left on his contract.

1. proudlycanadian - Aug 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM

These operations are always successful even when the patient dies. Of more interest is tonight’s Red Sox game. I saw on the net that the Sox had a nice early lead thanks to Scrappy. Eventually, I discovered that it was being televised locally. I then saw the Angels score 4 of their 8 runs in the third inning to take the lead. Not surprisingly, I think that the Red Sox need a complete over haul.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 23, 2012 at 9:27 PM

The Red Sox roster reminds me of my house.

Worth half of what I paid for it, and desperately needing to be set on fire.

2. Old Gator - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Halleleujah! At last, Carl Crawford undergoes Tommy John surgery! What’s left to anticipate in Boston now – what kind of clam season it’s going to be?

3. yankeesgameday - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

If I had it all to do over again I would be Dr. James Andrews. The guy must be a gagillionaire with all these surgeries he does on high priced athletes.

4. hconspiracy - Aug 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I have said it before and will say it again…..get Francona back, and quickly! Who in their mind hires Bobby V…..total disaster…
    And the players aren’t without fault of course….trade Crawford away and Beckett…get Youk back and some passion in the side……

5. mickeylolich1968 - Aug 24, 2012 at 12:48 AM

…on the bright side Carl Crawford is one of several current red sox players with an excellent chance to be comeback player of the year next season!

6. bloodysock - Aug 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Congratulations to Carl. It’s the only success he’s had all season.

Please finally get well and come back ready to play next season.

7. AlohaMrHand - Aug 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM

So this means he’ll be out until next August won’t it?

• sdpaulson - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM

hitting and throwing can begin in months 4 – 8. Normal rehab is 10 – 12 months.

8. hokiegajanisgod - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Anther Red Sox story; another excuse to dump on the team.

He had a legitimate injury, he had surgery, end of story.

This constant media hype/trashing of ANY news concerning the Sox is getting old.

9. deathmonkey41 - Aug 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM

If you break it down by actual games played, I wonder how much he is making per game.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3397)