Aug 23, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
It may be too late to do the Red Sox much good, but barring a setback, David Ortiz is expected to come off the disabled list prior to Friday’s game, CSNNE.com is reporting.
“It looked like David got through everything perfectly today,” manager Bobby Valentine. “Today was the day he was going to run the bases, which he hadn’t done yet. He had run sprints and has done other things. Today he ran the bases. We’ll see how he gets through it. If he gets through, we’re planning on hopefully activating him tomorrow.”
Ortiz has missed five weeks with a strained right Achilles’ tendon. The designated hitter was one of the game’s best hitters before going down, coming in at .316/.414/.609 with 23 homers through 320 at-bats.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17